Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Betteagues   Cdvckers  

Member  Message

Betteagues
View Profile

New Red Tail mama needs advice

Hey guys. I’m new here. I’ve been an avid reptile enthusiast and owner for about 4 years now. 2 ball pythons, California king snake, western hog nose and a black rat snake. 2 days ago, my fiancé and I adopted/rescued a Red tailed boa. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed since reading tons of articles and different forums where the information varies so much. When we picked him up Sunday, all he had was an overhead lamp with a 125 watt bulb and was on aspen shavings. After hours of reading, I decided to pick up an UTH for him. I’m wondering now, if it is going to be to hot for his belly. It is too hot for me to leave my bare hand on there for any more than about 30 seconds. Should I purchase a thermostat to help regulate it? If so, what would you recommend? I also am unsure, due to conflicting information, as to whether or not I should use a heat lamp directly over the UTH? I really want to get this right in order to care for and not cause any injury to my amazing new pal. Way different than my Ball Pythons. Any input is greatly appreciated.

03/05/18  07:36pm

Cdvckers
View Profile

Message To: Betteagues   In reference to Message Id: 2322115

New Red Tail mama needs advice

For me personally I don’t really care for the over head lamps. They just get in the way. I have owned several boas and honestly having a large cage and a large heating pad typically does the trick. I also have a large water bowl for all of mine to soak in. I have the occasional bad shed but other than everything works great. No need to go for expensive domes and lights

03/06/18  09:10am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area