Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Texasghoul   Texasghoul   Takahiro111   Texasghoul   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Texasghoul
View Profile

Help with heat bulb

I have a baby red tail boa. I am currently housing him in a 10 gallon tank for a few months then moving up to a 20 gallon tank. I am in the market for a ceramic heat emitter to keep on at all times that in conjunction with a heat pad will keep the warm side of the tank 90 degrees. My question is what watt ceramic bulb should I get? Thanks!

11/19/15  09:29am

Texasghoul
View Profile

Message To: Texasghoul   In reference to Message Id: 2315777

Help with heat bulb

I am using a 75 watt bulb right now with a 8.5" reflector and a under the tank heating pad and its only getting the hot side up to 80 degrees. So I was thinking maybe a 100 or 125 watt ceramic bulb?

11/19/15  09:36am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Texasghoul   In reference to Message Id: 2315778

Help with heat bulb

Tanks can’t keep up temps correctly and 75W and higher is too much for a 10 and maybe 20 gal tank. And may give higher temps your RTB doesn’t need but dimmers/thermostat may be need to help control the temp. I hate tanks but only use it when new animals are being separated for health reasons/inspections.

11/19/15  09:11pm

Texasghoul
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315785

Help with heat bulb

Yeah I have read up a lot now and am much more informed. I may decide to build a custom enclosure when he is ready for a bigger tank. I am also getting a humidity and heat controller for Christmas for both sides of the tank using a heat bulb, under the tank heat mat and two small humidifiers. Could prolly sell the 55 gallon aquarium and the 120 gallon aquarium i have acquired for $ to build a custom enclosure that I can section off untill he is big enough to use the whole thing! Would yall recommend an enclosure made out of plywood with a plexiglass face?

11/23/15  12:06am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Texasghoul   In reference to Message Id: 2315849

Help with heat bulb

I can’t remember the name of the wood that was used to build my cage but I use plexiglass for the front door. I know pine/cedar isn’t good for reptiles I think because the oils..

11/23/15  12:47pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area