Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ZTguy75   Chameleon_man   Motomo   Chameleon_man   Cphill58   Motomo  

Member  Message

ZTguy75
View Profile

Quick caging question

I’m wanting to build an enclosure for a 5’-ish red tail. Not sure if it is male or female, but I want to build a 4’Long x 4’Deep x 7’Tall enclosure. Question is will a larger RTB use the extra height?

04/14/13  04:46pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: ZTguy75   In reference to Message Id: 2295637

Quick caging question

This very debatable In my opinion they will not climb...there are to big and heavy bodied. when you first drop him in the cage he will climb trying to find a way to get out. I would just build it 4-6 foot long 18inches to a foot high. and 2 foot dep.

04/14/13  10:50pm

Motomo
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2295660

Quick caging question

I respectfully disagree. Colombians are from the rainforest region of South America and are one of the few boids to spend a lot of their time in trees. My girl LOVES to climb the dogwood tree in my front yard. Her cage is 5’L x 4’H x 18"D. There are several climbing branches and perches. She uses them all.

04/24/13  09:00pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Motomo   In reference to Message Id: 2296241

Quick caging question

ya I know some that will climb. but I think its where they are so "domesticated" that is just dose not happen like it would in the wild.

04/24/13  09:15pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2296248

Quick caging question

LOL...domesticated

Given the chance my snake will climb my homemade indoor tree and go for the chandelier. What a mess that would be to clean up should she ever made it...lol

I have to reel her in and stop her.

I often thought of doing the same and wish I had ...still might

After a soak in the tub she climbs up here too....

05/13/13  07:10pm

Motomo
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2297261

Quick caging question

EXACTLY! She is gorgeous!! Love that coloring! Yeah, my understanding of "domesticated" snakes is that they are nothing like dogs or cats. Yes, they are gentle, but still possess all of their natural instincts. And, if fed properly, they are not a heavy bodied snake at all. Quite the contrary, they are lean, strong agile and very quick for their size. Bottom line, if you have the space and the means, build up. Your Colombian will thank you for it. And make sure you add as many branches and climbing ledges as possible because your snake will use them. Good luck and post pics when you have it done. I’d love to see the final cage.

05/25/13  12:34pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area