Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mmarquis33   Mmarquis33   Cphill58   Mmarquis33   Cphill58   Mmarquis33   Cphill58   Mmarquis33   Cphill58   Mmarquis33   Mmarquis33   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Mmarquis33
View Profile

How long to wait before attempting to feed a new snake

Hey all,

I just got my first snake. Its a very young red tail boa, about 20’’ long. I bought him from a breeder at an expo and the guy said he was on hoppers and that he hadn’t eaten since almost two weeks so that he wouldn’t have a full belly at the show. I left him alone all day sunday and monday. Last night I attempted to feed him a hopper (frozen/thawed all day/ warmed in bag in hot water) He pretty much ignored its presence entirely. Same thing again tonight (not the same rat) he touched it this time but then continued to ignore it.

He is kept in a 29g. slate bottom tank with aspen bedding. I use a UTH and light to bring the warm side to about 83 degrees during the day and about 75 at night (using just the UTH). He is slithering around his enclosurestill exploring and all and hasn’t even gone in to his warm side shelter. I am assuming he is just still adjusting to his new environment.

Should I wait longer? Should I try feeding him a live fuzzie? Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks!!

matt

03/27/13  08:44pm

Mmarquis33
View Profile

Message To: Mmarquis33   In reference to Message Id: 2294489

Oh I should mention, that When I attempt to feed. I put him on a paper towels in a 20g exo-terra front locking terrarium with the heat lamp to keep him warm! Oh and literally as I am typing this sentence he is going into his warm hide for the first time ever haha.

Thanks again..

Matt

03/27/13  08:46pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mmarquis33   In reference to Message Id: 2294491

If he doesn’t eat in a few days / week you can wait another week and attempt again. Sometimes they are just more into the new surroundings and need to settle a bit. Trust me when he / she gets hungry you will know. Sometimes they will strike at the glass or as you walk by ...then they are certainly ready.

If all else fails I would go with a live rodent. One that small can not hurt your snake or inflict any bite even if it tried. You might be interested in fresh pre kill and how to do it...look up cervical dislocation for rats...with practice it becomes quite easy. And that way as the snake grows larger and the prey item size is increased you will have a grasp on how to quickly render the prey harmless. The first few times are awkward but practice is the key.

You tube shows you how...age verification required for this video.

video on you tube

03/28/13  10:19pm

Mmarquis33
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2294551

Awesome, thanks.. I was gonna try and give him a live one tomorrow to see if he just would rather kill it.. Could it be that he would rather eat in his primary enclosure? I don’t want to feed him in there because of the aspen

03/29/13  12:00pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mmarquis33   In reference to Message Id: 2294578

I feed in the primary enclosure. I have over 15 various snakes. With the young corns I will separate and feed outside. Just so there is no fighting for the rodent. They are all hatched and from the same clutch living together for now.

Many times...if the frozen thawed is wet I will use a towel to fluff dry it. I also will use very hot water at the final second to warm it up and make it as close to normal body temps.

Many of my snakes have ingested a few pieces of aspen now and again. Does no harm. Not that I want them too....but it does happen on occasion.

I had a calif king go from July to October refusing to eat until one day BAM..! It was hungry again.

03/30/13  11:37am

Mmarquis33
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2294631

UPDATE: successful feeding today! Hah I fed him in his enclosure to reduce stress and left like a concerned parent picked aspen off the mouse as he was eating.. I know this is probably a bad idea but he seemed unphased.. A small piece may have been Eagen though.. Will it hurt him?

04/02/13  05:48pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mmarquis33   In reference to Message Id: 2294887

No...it will not. And I also will use tongs / tweezers or my fingers and wipe the face of any foreign debris as the snake eats. ...literally pulling a piece out of the jaws on occasion.

Good job...you could try feeding in the enclosure ...in a small cardboard box or paper bag also.

04/03/13  09:51am

Mmarquis33
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2294917

Yeah I was pulling stuff out with tweezers hah.. Next time I think I’ll flip his shelter and put him in that

04/04/13  09:33pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mmarquis33   In reference to Message Id: 2295047

LOL....have done that before

04/06/13  05:21pm

Mmarquis33
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2295157

So after about six weeks it has only eaten once.. He even refused a very small live fuzzy ( figured I’d try) is it wrong of me to remove his hide during feeding time? All the temps and humidity are spot on.. (60% and 92 in hide with 84 ambient). Idk why else he would refuse to eat

04/19/13  11:14am

Mmarquis33
View Profile

Message To: Mmarquis33   In reference to Message Id: 2295927

Also he has been burrowing.. I am assuming this has something to do with it as this isn’t normal to my knowledge.. I do only have one hide in the enclosure on the hot side right now.

04/19/13  12:07pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mmarquis33   In reference to Message Id: 2295930

6 weeks , seems like a long time...I just don’t know for sure.

Why 92 F on the hot side....from my understanding the tropical jungle stays a pretty constant 82-85 F ambient...sure if you sit in the sun it maybe more, but usually due to canopy cover is is always blotchy sunlight and shaded. I use a UTH on the bottom and a CHE on the top ...no light. Steady 85-88 F all day and night on that 1/3 of the enclosure. The cold side is probably room temps about 73-75 F and occasionally she will curl up there.

Burrowing maybe a sign that it wants to be in the dark, away from the light, if you use one. It is trying to hide IMO.

All you can do is try to find food items that it likes ...small rats usually work well. If you are lucky you can find rabbit breeders and offer to purchase the pink rabbits that pass away during birth for .25 cents....they just throw them away anyway. I have a freezer full of them and 3 or 4 people call me when they have baby bunnies freeze or get suffocated by a bad momma rabbit not taking good care of the young.

Good luck

04/26/13  11:55am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area