Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Wayne013   Cphill58   Wayne013   Cphill58   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Wayne013
View Profile

Strange Behavior.

Last week, my boa "Pete" struck and wrapped one of his weekly rats as usual. Except this time he ended up in his water bowl. I watched closely and his head was above the water so I was not concerned. I checked back a few minutes later and he had released the rat (dead) and his head was partially submerged. I removed him from his cage. I noticed some clear gel like fluid (assuming saliva) coming from his mouth. I removed him from his tank, held him head down tail up and drained the fluid. He seemed ok , so I returned him to his tank. Needless to say he did not eat. I watched him closely over the next few hours and days. No more fluid appeared. He returned to his normal behavior and seemed to be healthy and happy. He is very active and alert as usual. During his next feeding he did not seem interested in the rat at first. He slowly started tracking it. This is where it gets weird. He did not strike it. He cornered the rat and threw is mid section on top of the rat, pushed it in the corner trapping and slowly killing it. During this process the rat was in an upright position with it’s head exposed. Pete kept pressing with his body and moved his head around to where he was nose to nose with the rat as he killed it. Very strange. After the rat finally died, he ate it as normal. Any ideas on what I should do or why he did that?

01/29/13  10:28am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Wayne013   In reference to Message Id: 2290790

Strange Behavior.

How big is your snake..? How big is the rat..?

Personally I won’t feed anything that can bite back alive...I will pre kill it or feed frozen thawed. When I feed sometimes my RTB will be very aggressive and other times she will be like a cat , nuzzling up to it and slowly eating. Thus the chance of her getting bitten is likely.

I have seen large rats inflict surface wounds that drew blood with their slashing teeth. I won’t ever make that mistake again.

Sounds like yours might also benefit from feeding pre killed...just in case she isn’t sure what to do on occasion.

01/31/13  10:06pm

Wayne013
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2291051

Strange Behavior.

Thanks for the reply, he is around 8ft and has never had feeding issues. The rat was just a medium. My local pet store does not carry larger. i have no experience with feeding frozen and am unsure about it. I just put in a rat this evening and he does not seem interested. Through research I found some other issues that concern me. He does the star gazing from time to time and continually tries to escape his enclosure which is 6x3x2. I have not been able to find a vet in my area that will see him. I have not seen any more mucus since his water dish incident. I may have to end up killing and freezing this rat. I’m really frustrated!

02/03/13  06:07pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Wayne013   In reference to Message Id: 2291224

Strange Behavior.

My RTB is 7’ 6" last I measured ...spring / summer of 2012. I must be fortunate "she" eats like a pig 2 exx large rats or a small rabbit.

You might try rabbits , here in Utah they are very affordable and quite common as food for human consumption or snakes...some are bred for show which I don’t purchase. Most rabbit breeders are selling for 5.00 - 10.00 ea and can be talked into lowering the price. I do not approach "pet" breeders , they have inflated ideas as well as prices.

I have seen many a snake go off food , but not my RTB...all year she is an eating machine.
I am glad to hear the water and drooling was only a 1 time incident...that is common if the prey lands in the water bowl, I have seen it myself.

At the size you mention your snake can probably sustain itself for many weeks / month or more without eating. You may have to wait it out.

Hoping it gets hungry for you soon,

Chris

02/04/13  11:24pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2291318

Strange Behavior.

I forgot to address the Star gazing. The technical term for the deformity is IBD. Inclusion Body Disease.

If you like you can see the many links on Goggle here and read all about it.

IBD in snakes

Many snakes will live for years and carry the virus without showing it. Others will show it and still live for many years, however they should never be bred or exposed to other boids and especially pythons, which can prove fatal for the python in short order.

I hope all goes well for you and the snake

Chris

02/04/13  11:32pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area