Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Devinjames   Chameleon_man   Devinjames   Chameleon_man   LRiley   Devinjames   Maggie_Mae  

Member  Message

Devinjames
View Profile

Can i keep a 5 ft boa in a 40 gallon for a few more months?

he is growing fast and is a very healthy snake. im in an apartment that doesnt allow reptiles, ya i know dont yell at me, but he stays in my closet in a 40 gallon breeder would that be okay for a few more months?

11/26/12  01:25pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Devinjames   In reference to Message Id: 2286354

HELL NO! lol that is wayyyyyy to small. if he is just going to be in a closet they sell him. for the snakes sake just sell him to a good home. He cant just be in a dark closet all day.

11/29/12  01:06am

Devinjames
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2286627

ok slow it down. brought him to the vet the other day and hes perfectly healthy. his tank is the states required limit of space. hes also a male so hes not as fat as the females. the cage isnt too crowded so hes got room but still the necessities like hide branch and water bowl. hot and cold side. and he gets out for about an hour every day. hes not mean. so id say its fine i just need it to last a little longer until i go home and then he will have a nice big cage im going to make. hes gets out of the cage plenty your acting like he never sees life beyond the closet. if anything a closet is better because he would feel safer, when animals have people walking around them all the time it can stress them out. it also stays warmer in there.

12/01/12  10:54am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Devinjames   In reference to Message Id: 2286809

still not the ideal set up for a boa that big. a 40 gallon is still to small. just get him in a bigger tank asap.

12/01/12  08:29pm

LRiley
View Profile

depending on the exact dimensions of the tank the answer could be yes no or maybe. a lot of 40 gallon tanks are built like customary fish tanks, long and narrow - and if this was the case I would be inclined to say no - not the best enclosure - but it would suffice until a suitable replacement could be obtained.

If it is more along the design of a breeder tank, long and wide but not as high then sure a 40 gallon could be an ok setup for now - but agian only until a suitable replacement could be found.

12/03/12  05:38am

Devinjames
View Profile

Message To: LRiley   In reference to Message Id: 2286970

ya its a 40 breeder. and i know its not ideal but he honestly never really looks squished or stressed out. hes a very nice healthy snake i would be more worried if he seemed to start getting mean and unhealthy looking. and also like i said. he gets out for an hour usually every day.

12/06/12  03:46pm

Maggie_Mae
View Profile

Absolutely not. That’s extremely cramped. My redtail was 4 feet in a 55 gal before I moved him to a five foot cage. That was pushing it. You need to move him.

12/28/12  08:49pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area