Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sandboaking   Ublaz   Mr olivers owner   Sandboaking   Mr olivers owner   Sandboaking  

Member  Message

Sandboaking
View Profile

Rtb shedding issue

Hi, I have a 5 foot female redtail and she just had a very flaky shed. I know it’s the humidity, so what can I do? She’s in a 75 gallon with a giant water bowl and aspen bedding. I’ve heard of setting up a humidity box, but I’m not sure whether I should use orchid bark or moss. Any additional suggestions would be great. Thanks!

09/30/12  01:46pm

Ublaz
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2281722

Rtb shedding issue

Hey, try spraying her down with water several times a week, or if all else fails there’s some stuff you can get at petsmart that will help. Mine had the same issue for a while, although she is a lot smaller than yours. hope I helped you.

09/30/12  10:10pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Ublaz   In reference to Message Id: 2281762

Rtb shedding issue

i put a wet towel with mine in his hide, a shed box is good you can use moss but a wet towel can be washed and reused moss can only be used for so long. you can use a large enough tuperware container with holes as a shed box, put a heat pad on a dimmer under it and in an hour or so you should see the snake deshedding herself if not wipe her down with a cloth yourself after the hour so her skin is soft and should come off easily.

ive never had to deshed(peel) my snakes they take care of that themselves with the high humidity
buying shedding products is notcost effective for huge snakes but is good for small ones...definetly stick to the shed box first next if that doesnt work use a bath with olive or mineral oil or any oil for that matter but you should not have to do that after the shed box thing.

later to keep the humidity high in a tank place a heat pad under the part of the tank with the water dish(so it evaporates) and cover 75% of the top of the tank with a towel or syranwrap(spelling?) or tin foil ect, air circulation is in the 25% uncovered. i have a water dragon so i know what its like to have that issue(waterdragons need 80% every day allday)

if you want a more natural look that is higher maintnance go with coconut husk, but itdoes mold after awhile so mainance is a must, with the heater under the water you can put a dry towel in th cage as it is air humidity that the heated bowl will affect after you wont need a shed box(the water doesnt get hot provided the pad is under the tank and the bowl is big enough)

10/01/12  04:05pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2281814

Rtb shedding issue

Thanks for the help! I’m going to set up a shed box, because I’d like to get a permanent solution, not just a quick fix. She soaked and I’m pretty sure she shed it all off, but it was a bunch of little pieces. I’m going to check and make sure she shed off that eye cap very soon

10/01/12  09:38pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2281849

Rtb shedding issue

covering the tank and having heated water is a permanent solution since the humidity should be min like 70% allthe time 80% aroud shed, a shed box that fits in the tank while still covering 75% of the top screen is also a longterm solution solution, if done the tank cover and heated water thing for 7 years, (which was when i got my waterdragon, who loves water)its the lowest maintnance method out there just fill water bowl and voila

when the humidity is not high enough the snake can become dehydrated faster,

anyway, good luck with the humidity

10/02/12  08:36am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2281864

Rtb shedding issue

Thanks again for the help! I’m starting to think I should get a vision or some kind of pvc custom cage for her, since this aquarium isn’t doing me any favors, but I’ll have to check the budget for that one

10/02/12  04:45pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area