Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ublaz   Maggie_Mae   Sandboaking   Ublaz   Mr olivers owner   Fairy Frog Mother   Ublaz  

Member  Message

Ublaz
View Profile

Enclosure Question

Hey I’m a Senior in high school and in an ag-construction class and I’m using the opportunity to build a 4Lx2Wx2H cage and I need to know if building it out of pine and plywood is ok.

09/18/12  06:59pm

Maggie_Mae
View Profile

Message To: Ublaz   In reference to Message Id: 2280732

Enclosure Question

plywood is fine but no pine or cedar, they’re toxic

09/25/12  11:48pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Maggie_Mae   In reference to Message Id: 2281418

Enclosure Question

Hi, I honestly wouldn’t recommend using wood at all. I’d say pvc or glass is best because the wood will absorb moisture and hold bacteria. But if you’re set on wood, don’t get anything treated. And I’ll emphasize again, no cedar or pine

09/30/12  01:49pm

Ublaz
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2281723

Enclosure Question

I completely agree with the pvc/glass comment, it’s not that I’m set on wood, I just don’t have a job and I’m being forced to work with what I’ve got available.

09/30/12  10:06pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Ublaz   In reference to Message Id: 2281760

Enclosure Question

ive used a wood box made of ply wood(for my waterdragon) you just have to seal the wood and paint it properly and allow it to dry outside for 3 weeks so the small doesnt kill nthe snake i used a clear indoor polyurythan i think..i did research on products first you cant just paint it because the humidity will make the wood paint crack exposing the snake to wood resins so it has to be sealed first then painted

or buy a second hand tank or container for him....

10/01/12  04:10pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2281816

Enclosure Question

Glass is HORRIBLE for heat. Wood is fine, you just need to seal it thoroughly and let whatever you seal it with completely gas out for a couple of weeks before you use it.
(which I now see is what Mr Olivers owner said Ha!)
Glass will be insane to try to vent and keep humidity right in- and does NOTHING to hold in heat at all well. Both of my enclosures are wood which are painted so as to keep humidity in and bacteria down. To kill bacteria I also wipe mine down with vinegar. I have never *knocks on wood* had an illness or mites in them.

The important thing is to install the heat and turn it on with the doors open to be sure the paint/sealant is completely cured after its dry.

Enjoy the build!

10/01/12  05:06pm

Ublaz
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2281821

Enclosure Question

thanks everyone for your help.

10/04/12  10:30pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area