Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Adam L   Adam L   ShadowAceD   Fairy Frog Mother   Adam L   Mr olivers owner   Adam L   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Adam L
View Profile

HELP?

So... I got my new RTB and hes probably closer to 7 ft than 6 ft... He ran out of the pillow case and knocked over everything now he’s been behind my tv stand for the past hour with no intentions of moving. He was hissing back there for a good 30 minutes and he tried to bite me a couple times.

Whats a good way to get him out from there without getting bit, hurting him, or having him wrap around all the cords and yanking down everything I have set up? I set up the pillow case on one side so it’s sitting there open but he doesn’t seem to care. I have the other side open with a sterilite tub that has a blanket draped over it. I have a towel wrapped around my arm so if he does come out I can grab him and hopefully not get bit too badly.

Any ideas? My main issue here is that hes wrapped around the cords to my tv, my xbox, my cable box, and my clock. If I try to grab him he will bite me then constrict on all the cords (and me i suppose) then yank them all down and probably break them LOL.

Obviously he isn’t going anywhere right now so I have plenty of time.

08/02/12  09:19pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2275424

HELP?

I managed to unplug everything and wrap him in his pillow case then drag the big lug out from behind the entertainment center without getting bit, he is now safely in his cage and secured. After he calmed down he didn’t try to bite me, at least I didn’t give him the chance to do it. Needless to say there is a ton of power behind a snake that size and it was an eye opening experience that I hope never to repeat. He will never be being handled solo because after feeling the power behind him I know he would have no trouble at all strangling me

08/02/12  10:14pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2275427

HELP?

I’m glad you figured out how to get him out from behind the TV without much of an issue, but I do feel you need to educate yourself better on just what you are getting yourself into.

Using more than one person to handle a larger boa that is known to be squirrely is a good thing to do, but boas do not just fly off the handle and strangle people. Constrictor species would rather run away from a perceived threat than attack it. This is why it is so easy for them to become mutilated by live rats left unattended with them; they do not fight back.

It is a damaging and ridiculous myth spread by the fear mongers that wish to destroy the hobby that these animals make a habit of constricting their owners.

When large constrictors contrict their handlers, it is for a variety of reasons, but the majority being that the animal either got large enough or desperate enough to view a human as a food item. This is not really going to happen with a boa constrictor. You may be bitten, but if you are bitten and wrapped, you have made a serious error involving the scent of food or a food item itself. Boas constrictors do not get large enough to view humans as potential prey.

Investing in a snake hook would probably be good for you, but please do further reading on these animals to really understand them. It is of absolutely no benefit for anyone in this hobby for people keeping these animals to have the thought that their boa constrictor is going to "strangle" them one day. There is only one reported death from a boa constrictor and the incident itself was not actual constriction.

08/02/12  10:43pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2275431

HELP?

*Nods agreeing with everything ShadowAceD says*
The fact your snack hissed at you is it was probably scared. It had found a nice hiding spot behind the TV that was warm.
Also, if you bag your snake- tie the end of the bag and then keep it in a warm spot in your home. (I will assume this was done to clean the enclosure or something similar- not a bad idea really)
In 35 years of being around snakes, I have been bitten 4 times. Twice was from neonate corn snakes- and didnt even break the skin. Twice from boas- and both of those the smell of food was in the air and on me. I have NEVER had a snake try to constrict me- even when I was a 9 year old kid handling a 9 foot boa. (My stepdad was RIGHT there and teaching me how to do it safely.) Hydrogen peroxide or betadine to clean the bite was all that was ever needed. Check the bite for teeth, as these can (and often one or two may) break off when you jump from the bite. (cause lets face it, jumping occurs when a large snake strikes!)- Honestly, the snake is more in danger from an infection from a broken tooth than you are from the bite itself.

NEVER EVER wrap an adult boa around your neck. It is not that they will "constrict" you, mistaking you for prey. Even if you are child size, they simply arent interested in eating you. They are big babies and can get scared when out of their nice, safe enclosure, especially if they have not been handled often. If you wrap a large one around your neck, they dont really see the difference between it and say...a tree trunk. They just try to hold on to keep from falling because adult boas generally are too beefy to be arboreal. I believe this is what happened in the ONE reported death from a boa.
Should your snake ever hold onto someone or something, unwrap it starting from its tail and support its body weight so it can relax and let go. Trying to unwrap from their head is near impossible because of their strength. And yes- even I handle my 9 foot female and 8.5 foot male only when someone else is home. Its just good practice.

My favorite reference for Boas is "The Boa Constrictor Manuel" by Phillipe deVosjoli ( I think thats how you spell the last name)- Lots of good info. I highly recommend it if you are going to live with a large Boid in your home.

08/03/12  05:22am

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2275470

HELP?

When I said that I could see it strangling me I meant in a scenario like Frog Mother had mentioned. I know the bark is worse than the bite and that the snake was just scared. I was just very surprised when it happened. It was in the pillow case because I had literally just picked it up from the person I was buying it from so it had been in cars for the past several hours. I certainly underestimated him but I think that I can still make this work with a bit more research.

08/03/12  11:41am

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2275518

HELP?

i think once your new snake settles in his home for a few days he will then de-stress a bit and become a big puppy dog.

did the original owner give you any information on this snakes personality?, as they are all different.

once he settles i know you’ll learn to love him :)

08/03/12  01:58pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2275537

HELP?

She said he was really sweet. She has about 10 red tails so I would think that she knows what she is talking about.

08/03/12  02:35pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2275540

HELP?

Boas generally are sweet, big lugs. (There are exceptions though...and boy howdy, a ticked off 40 lb snake is no joke!) If mine are acting cage defensive, I have a rubber tipped stick I use to pet them with to let them know its not food ( I NEVER use it if Im feeding em) and since employing this method, I have never been accidentally bit- not even with them in shed. (I dont pick them up when they are in shed though. Or within two days post feeding)

08/08/12  12:16am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area