Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Adam L   Mr olivers owner   Adam L   Mr olivers owner   Adam L   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Adam L
View Profile

What size to feed?

I know that the rule of thumb is nothing larger than the largest part of the snakes girth but I don’t really know what each size of rat looks like and I intended to order from rodent pro online in bulk. I’m getting a 6 foot 14 pound BCI from a person on craigslist who doesn’t have time for it anymore and I don’t know exactly what size frozen rats I should order for him. Just wanted to know if anybody could tell me the size I should probably get for him based on that information or based on what your own experiences.

Thanks,
Adam

07/31/12  08:52pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2275100

What size to feed?

you may wish to hold off ordering till the snake comes in if the original owner cant tell you what hes feeding it. at six feet id imagine it would be eating med adult rats not the jumbos or large ones just 250-300gram rats perhaps

if you youtube red tail feedings the owners generally state the size of the snake and its food you could use that as a guide

08/01/12  09:42am

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2275150

What size to feed?

Thanks, I didn’t even think to ask the owner what size he was feeding it for some reason. I had tried to estimate based on YT but I really couldn’t find much.

08/01/12  10:49am

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2275155

What size to feed?

lol
if he is indeed a male find out how old he is if hes under 5 yrs he may grow a little so you may need bigger food items in the future some males despite being well fed max out at 6 feet while other grow to 7-8.. females as you likly know grow much bigger than males.

but if he is absolutly full grown than you can order in bulk and not have to worry about getting several food sizes to accomodate his growth frozen rats are good for 6months to a year in a good freezer with proper packaging(its a good idea however to buy only enough for 4-5 months in advance for freshness)

08/01/12  11:14am

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2275159

What size to feed?

He is 6 years old and the guy said that he feeds him LG to XLG F/T so I’ll probably go with LG. I intended to only buy 6 months worth at a time anyways since I had read that they last 6 months to a year in the freezer.

Thanks for the help,
Adam

08/01/12  02:53pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2275188

What size to feed?

Good plan. My male is 8.5 feet at 4 1/2 years old- he is a larger male. He eats Extra Jumbos. I think you are probably safe with X large rats every 2 weeks- unless it is seriously undersized and malnourished from neglect. There have been times I have had to feed 2 prey items when I couldnt get XJumbo rats- so going one size smaller wont hurt anything. Worst case scenario- youll have to order more sooner than planned.

08/03/12  05:28am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area