Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sammiee Jammiee   Cphill58   Sandboaking   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Sammiee Jammiee
View Profile

My Red Tail Boa bit itself

so my boyfriend was going to feed our red tail boa a huge rat and it missed and bit itself ... now i wanna know first of all if my snake is going to be alright because its not an overly huge bite but its a good one? should i take it to the vet? and second of all ... it wont let anyone pick it up now and i dont want my snake to be lonely and never get picked up ... so please could u help me out =(

07/30/12  11:31am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Sammiee Jammiee   In reference to Message Id: 2274930

Your going to have to pick it up if you expect to wash the wound and apply any treatment to it. You can take a T shirt and cover the snake ...then pick it up. If you cover the head primarily it should calm down.

You can’t be afraid of getting bitten, they will sense that. And possibly use it to their advantage. wear a pair of garden gloves and long sleeve shirt.

Treat any open wound with a mild mixture of Betadine Solution mixed 50/50 with water. I doubt if anything bad will happen if you just leave it alone...but if you feel you must use Betadine solution available at any drug store / Walmart/Target...etc

07/31/12  01:57am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2275019

I have a few snakes that have bitten themselves or have gotten a nasty nip from a mouse. They’re usually fine. Have you tried frozen rats before? Or prekilled? Redtails are usually big pigs, and they’ll take anything.

07/31/12  04:58pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2275072

Yep- what they said. And my current boas have never eaten live- just thawed ratcicles. Saves ya the worry of it getting bit by its food! (but not from biting itself- silly dork snake!)
So long as its enclosure is kept clean regularly, and its water dish is also washed regularly, I seriously doubt you will have an issue. Snakes are AMAZING at healing when given proper heat and humidity in a clean environment.

08/03/12  05:33am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area