Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mason12   Mr olivers owner   Mason12   Cphill58   Fairy Frog Mother   Mason12   Cphill58   Mason12   Jon whittington   Mason12   Adam L   Mr olivers owner   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Mason12
View Profile

Live rats vs Frozen/thawed rats

So i’ve been feeding my 66in 12lb female Colombian red tail Boa 3 live jumbo rats every 7 days but i just hate how much the live rats poop non stop and smell like ! lol but anyway today i fed her 3 frozen/thawed jumbo rats and she was confused at first and wouldnt strike until i dangles it and lightly tapped her face with it then she ate it but real slow.

But anyway what is your preference on live or dead prey?

07/17/12  07:40pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2273740

its a huge controversy but some of it is preference

i personally feed frozen thawed because they cant bite my snake or defend themselves, they dont eat my food or poop everywhere and are not as smaelly. i used to feed live but found it was easier to have food in advance if it was frozen rather than a cage food ect for the rats. i always found that f/t was easier

the snake will get used to frozen thawed(f/t) if you feed it only frozen thawed, switching can be confusing and they may start to refuse f/t, some snakes on the other hand dont care and are eating machiens

its a big debate however, so just do what your more comfortable with

07/18/12  08:05am

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2273791

Very informative thanks, i agree frozen thawed is very convenient however i find it exciting to see my snake and just destroy it. So next week i think ill try live again and see if i can feed him the rats the second i get home so the dont poop a hamster brain ton when i wait till later

07/18/12  07:58pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2273853

I have fed both and seen the damage done by a XXLrg live rat to the snake...it was superficial but the rat drew blood and I was quite upset for a moment or 2 until I got it cleaned up and disinfected. I don’t feed live rodents if they can fight back anymore.

Anything larger than a pup or weanling gets dispatched and fed as fresh killed. For larger prey different methods are used ...such as cervical dislocation or CO 2 which kills the rat in 1 minute. For rabbits I also employ cervical dislocation. These methods can be found all over the internet and you tube.

Once your snake gets bit and possibly injured you will kick yourself for having the need to see the violent side of things. In captivity it is not necessary to make the snake behave the same as it would in the wild.

My female boa is 7’6 " and my retic is 10 feet...they get rabbits and if I am low on those I will feed very large retired breeding rats. I get attached to the feeders , having raised them myself, and selling surplus. So I prefer to dispatch as humanely as possible the prey item so there is no chance of my snake going blind in 1 eye or getting a laceration in the soft tissue of the oral cavity. If the rat bites the glottis and causes severe hemorrhage your snake could easily die from aspirating the blood. Rare you might say ...but it happens.

With the more expensive snakes it isn’t fun paying a vet bill due to human error. Or having to see your snake suffer and possibly die late at night because there is no vet at 10 pm.

I adopted an albino bull snake that is blind in 1 eye from a rodent bite. He is a splendid snake but I often shake my head in sadness at the misfortune he suffered. His aim isn’t as good as a snake with both eyes and he will mistakenly strike just off an inch before he finally gets it.

I hope for you learn to refrain from the desire to see the "kill" and become more concerned about the health and safety of the snake. Take a video and watch if you feel the need...learn how to safely dispatch the prey item.

Cp

07/22/12  02:32am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2274210

Frozen/Thawed is way safer. I lost a snake due to a rat bite that got infected from a rat. Im totally with CP on this one!

And power feeding like you are doing SERIOUSLY will shorten the life expectancy of your snake from 20+ years down to 5-8 years. Having a big, overweight snake causes them to be more likely to experience heart and lung issues. (Just like with people who dont get enough exercise and over eat). To me, its as irresponsible as underfeeding to keep them in a smaller enclosure. One should be feeding with their snakes health and best interest in mind- not because its entertaining. *smirks*(Im all for being entertained, just not at an animals health expense)

My snakes arent overfed. My female is nearly 5 years old, 9 feet long and around 35-40 lbs Id guess ( I dont have a scale to measure), she gets one X large or Jumbo rat every 2 weeks. My male is 8.5 feet and prolly round 20-25 lbs. I havent over fed them, and they are HUUUUUUUGE. Yeah, its a temptation...but I do encourage good feeding habits so you can enjoy your animals company longer.

08/03/12  06:31am

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2275487

I went back to the frozen/thawed rats way better and much more convenient i feed my savannah and pacmen frozen too. now im only feeding 2 jumbos is even this too much food ?

08/13/12  08:32pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2276675

Here is a professional formula that can be used as a safe guideline

Feed the snake 10 % of it’s weight
Your snake is 12 lbs we convert to grams...because rats are measured in grams as well.
1 lb =453.5 grams ....453.5 x 12 = 5442 gr

5442 x .10 = 544.2 grams

My ex large rats weigh in at 350 grams...so you are not too far off , but not on target yet. I don’t think your boa eats every week like going to church...mine turned it’s nose up at a rabbit tonight...crazy, but it just ate 1.5 weeks ago. I offered because she defecated and was starting to search around.

She will let me know when she is hungry....7’6" and still growing at 3 years old

Good luck

08/14/12  06:37am

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2276714

Wow very informative cphill thanks, So two jumbo rats at around 700gs seems about right since i think my snake is a little bit bigger cuz i weighed her a month ago. so i think thats the number of rats im gonna roll with for now

08/15/12  07:30pm

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2273740

Hey,

Iam sorry for cutting in but I thought that adult Boas eat once a month??

Jon Whittington

08/16/12  04:56pm

Mason12
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2277004

No every 10 days for adults. I feed mine every 7 days because I would consider mine a "sub-adult",
shes a little over a year now. towards the end of the second year is when they become full grown and feeding slows down a little bit

08/16/12  05:45pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Mason12   In reference to Message Id: 2277005

I was under the impression that boas generally have a slower metabolism than pythons and as such need to eat less often, about once every 2 weeks after the first year or 2 and before that about every 10 days since they will still be growing more rapidly than an older snake. I was not aware of the 10% feeding rule / suggestion but it does seem to make perfect sense so I will make sure that I follow it closer now that I do know of it.

08/21/12  11:20am

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2277455

these snakes still grow at the age of 4 (albeit not as rapidly)but the least i personally will feed is 2X/month, those who feed adulds more often are either trying to get the snakes wieght up or using smaller food. the first year to the second year is a period of fast and rapid growth once every 7-10 days is not too much. if your snake is too fat than you can cut down feeding sizes but they dont always appreciate being forced to wait for feeding day they are very good at following scheduals they know when feed day

the 10% rule is easy to follow thank you to the poster

08/21/12  12:41pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mr olivers owner   In reference to Message Id: 2277460

My big guys eat every 2 weeks, one extra jumbo rat. Right now they are getting 3 larges since my stores supplier has been having a hard time getting enough rats to Extra Jumbo size. *sigh*

Speaking of which- time for the third rat for my female, and to see if the male ate his first one yet. He is being slow!

09/07/12  06:57am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area