Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Buddy rich   Chameleon_man   Mr olivers owner   Buddy rich   Chameleon_man   Buddy rich   Chameleon_man   Mr olivers owner   Buddy rich   Cphill58   Fairy Frog Mother   Warlock  

Member  Message

Buddy rich
View Profile

Boa striking

I just bought a 2 year old male columbian red tale boa the other day
He was really nice I had him out liked to climb around me and just kind of ’hug’ me lol
But the next day I fed him his meal and about 6 hours later I took him out of his cage
So I could replace his bedding and add his new hide, but as I was taking him out he was striking
In the air and I put him in a separate tote to keep him while I modified the cage.
And he was watching my every move and he started to strike at me through the tote

So the real question is, was this striking just a stay back you made me angry because he just ate? Or will this be an all round thing, I have 4 other ball pythons and a female boa and they don’t mind getting moved after handling, and have never struck, if someone can help with why he is doing this that would Bé great

07/04/12  01:34am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Buddy rich   In reference to Message Id: 2272131

Boa striking

It is highly not recommended to touch or move your snake after feeding. this is how regurgitation happens. I would wait about a day or two after feeding to change your bedding. Some snakes don’t mind being moved after feeding but i would still wait at least 24 hours min.

07/05/12  10:32am

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2272219

Boa striking

if he regurgitates because of the handling youll never want to do that again because the smell is the worst stench youll ever smell in your whole life. it permiates the whole house, lol.

speaking from experience(i learned my lesson the hard way...

07/05/12  07:46pm

Buddy rich
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2272219

Boa striking

Okay! I have 7 snakes and I have 1 feeding tank so it would be a good idea to feed him last and wait
24 hour or more to move him?, what if this striking problem still occurs even lets say a week goes by
And he still does it would it be good to let him bite?
I know it doesn’t hurt at all I didn’t feel a thing when my carpet bit
But it was just a warning she didn’t hold on, does it hurt more if they hold
On and wrap up? How would I go about taking him of?

07/07/12  01:14am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Buddy rich   In reference to Message Id: 2272429

Boa striking

well if it is a two year colombiam boa he should be ilke 5 foot with a powerful bite. lol it would hurt me, you can try feeding first also. He could have been in shed and just had a hard time seeing you and was scared. or you could just do what i do and feed in cage. I don’t really belive in cage aggression I do and I don’t sometimes.

07/07/12  10:55am

Buddy rich
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2272441

Boa striking

I do cage feeding with some of my older snakes that I trust more they know their feeding day,
I had him out today was not biting or anything, I’m just not trusting him near my face any time soon,
When I bought him the people said he was red tail but I don’t think he is true, I’ll post pics maybe someone can help me with
What e realy is

07/07/12  12:08pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Buddy rich   In reference to Message Id: 2272445

Boa striking

is his tail red? lol

07/07/12  12:25pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2272446

Boa striking

pet stores usually have the bci more so than the true red tail bcc. go on youtube there this guy who trained his red tail not to bite when he uses a snake hook to tap the snake on his head, not hit the snake just tap. anyway the snake will bite if he just reaches in but if he taps the snake the snake associates this action with play time not food time. theres also anouther video on youtbe about the differences in bcc and bci red tails i found it very informative...im not saying your only research should be red tails but its a good place to start

hopefully a week after his last feeding he has anouther one, untill he gets to know your routine he may continue to be snappy even a week after a feeding, babies are snippyier than older snakes same is true with my ball pythons

you can move him right after a feeding from feeding tank to home just not again after that for 24 hrs, i give mine 2-3 days mostly 2 or until the lump in the belly is gone...i also have other snakes to play with in the meantime.

07/07/12  01:48pm

Buddy rich
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2272446

Boa striking

When I look at the Suriname boas there tail is a very bright red, I’ll post a pic

07/07/12  02:36pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Buddy rich   In reference to Message Id: 2272454

Boa striking

The boa may have been hungry still....and his feeding response was still on high ...you may want to feed multiple items of similar size and see if he calms down.

True BCC red tails are either Guyana or Suriname...beautiful snakes. But they can have attitudes and issues. Have you read about the regurging these particular breeds have. It is all about getting the tempos and humidity just right for the most part...fascinating reading on the web.

Many cross breeding projects have captured the tail coloration and transferred it to BCI...but IMO the Suriname is the best red tail color out there and very difficult to beat.

Open a free Photobucket account and upload pics there. Then save the album and find the IMG code ...paste it in a message here and when you preview the message it should show up...otherwise go back and do it again until you get it...

Show us pictures please

07/22/12  02:55am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2274216

Boa striking

I personally would actually not feed multiple items- unless I couldnt get the proper size prey item. Its really easy to overfeed and end up with a "powerfed" snake that is obese. This can shorten their lifespan.

I do feed in their enclosure though, and have never had an issue with gettin bitten because if it. (There is a lot of differing opinion on this, but my female stopped eating when I used to feed her out of her enclosure in a feeding tank) Conversely, one of the two times Ive been tagged by boas was moving a snake from the feeding tank back to its enclosure.

And yes, I do concur with not moving them for 2 days after they eat. Clean the tank first, then feed if you must. Of course, whenever I clean my tanks is when mine decide to have a nice juicy bowel movement. *sigh* all that humidity and the temps being spot on...gets em movin to explore and then...well nature happens.

08/03/12  05:56am

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2275482

Boa striking

I rescued a boa about 2 months ago that was on deaths door. A large rat was thrown in with him and the guy went to bed. This snake was chewed horrible. Spine exposed. Scale Rot. Hes doing much better now. But he’s just about 5 feet. He bites a lot. And they really don’t hurt. You feel the pressure of the hit for than anything else. I wouldn’t really worry about the pain of the bite unless he chews. That sucks lol. Im trying to handle mine to calm him down but his scabs keep breaking and bleeding so maybe he’s not ready yet

04/14/13  09:21am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area