Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Milan   LRiley   Snakeman14   Milan   Snakeman14   Cphill58   LRiley   Fairy Frog Mother   Cphill58   Fairy Frog Mother   Sandboaking   Fairy Frog Mother   Mr olivers owner  

Member  Message

Milan
View Profile

BCC vs BCI. Can anyone explain?

Hello everyone longtime RZer first time boa poster lol. J am usually over in the iguana forum. Anyway I am finding myself quite confused by this whole BCC BCI thing. Can someone please explain to a blonde girl in the simplest way possible or better yet, just tell me what my girl is lol. I could care less whether she is "true" or "common" because I will love her either way. But out of curiosity I must know what she is. I hate not knowing things about my pets so this is driving me nuts! We got her from the Steel City reptile show and were told she was a pastel red tail about 7 years old. But after looking at pics online I’m not so sure. Anyone have a guess what out big baby is?

I don’t have a pic of her tail but ican get one I needed. To me it looks like a normal red tail... Um tail lol.
Here she is with my fiancé.

She is exacty 8 feet long ( we were told between 10-12 lol) and she has te sweetest temperament. So no matter whatshe really is we will love her anyway

06/19/12  12:21pm

LRiley
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2270549

Very beautiful girl you have there! She’s definitely a bci. Just google bcc and bci and read up on it. There are also older post about the same topic if you just scroll down the threads.

06/19/12  05:25pm

Snakeman14
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2270549

BCI - boa constrictor imperator - common or columbian red tail
BCC - boa constrictor constrictor - true red tail

06/20/12  02:29am

Milan
View Profile

Message To: Snakeman14   In reference to Message Id: 2270618

I know what the abbreviation means lol. I was meaning a good description of the differences between the two. Every article I read about it confuses me so I was hopeing someone could put it in laymans for me

06/20/12  04:47pm

Snakeman14
View Profile

Message To: Milan   In reference to Message Id: 2270658

oh lol thats all i no about it

06/20/12  09:16pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakeman14   In reference to Message Id: 2270699

Hey Milan,

I went through the same phase as you are now...i read for days and I know the difference but could never explain it ...I just know a BCI is a cross breed and easier to keep than a BCC ...true red tails from Guyana and Suriname are fussy , have regurging issues as a worst case scenario and possibly more attitude than a more inbred BCI.

Now what I am saying is not gospel and just like people everyone is different and some BCC are excellent snakes...but they do have moire issues associated with them, whereas the BCI is much more , how can I say, domesticated???

There are so many morphs out there who knows where the real genes are anymore.

Chris

07/22/12  03:05am

LRiley
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2274219

The Regurgitation Syndrome is one of the most frequent causes of death in true redtail Boa constrictors!!! It is associated with a significant loss of water and minerals in the affected animal’s body.

Mostly the snake keeper is responsible for the occurance of the Regurgitation syndrome due to wrong feeding!

Primarily affected: (all of these fall unde the BCC category)

... are neonates of redtail Boa c. constrictor such as true Surinames, Guyanas, Peruvians, and Brazilians,

Now, i have a Suriname and a Peruvian red tail and have NEVER had any of these issues. Try to stay away from wild caught snakes if possible. Wild caught snaked tend to have more issues than captive bred snakes do.

07/22/12  08:30am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: LRiley   In reference to Message Id: 2274236

Umm BCI are not cross breeds Chris hon. Though cross breeds generally are lumped under BCI classification.

BCI range from Mexico through Central America to Colombia. BCC are generally found in the Orinoco basin and surrounding areas. Theres other subspecies as well. There’s also BC Amarali (Short tailed boa) and BC Occidentalis (Argentinian) BC Longucauda (Long tailed boas)
Google Rio Bravo for some really great examples of these. (Oh and theres also Dumerils boas which are a different genus though still classified in the boa family- I forget what their classification is)

08/03/12  06:23am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2275486

Thanx FFM

I still have lots to learn about the various boa species too.

08/04/12  03:58pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2275625

Its ok CP. Me too! Its the age old...the more ya know...the more you know you dont know!

08/09/12  04:40am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2276156

Hi, I’ll just say you’re blessed to have a bci. I think they’ve been bred in captivity longer, so my theory is they’re becoming tamer. I have two females that are bcis and they’re really sweet, but I also have a male bcc that’s really fussy and squirmy. And, just out of curiosity, did you get her from the guy that sells the mice? I usually go there and pittsburgh every show.

09/30/12  01:55pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2281725

Mine are also BCI. I love my big lugs.
(Even if my 9’ girl taqged me for the first time in 4 years last week...totally my fault- wasnt careful enough and she was going through shed when I put the FT in her tank- so she got me instead of the rat- to her credit though... she hit and let go right away without even coiling. Then went and sulked in her corner for 45 minutes before she decided she would eat. *laughs* poor confused thing. But yeah- she was FAST! )
Boas, no matter what their locality or morph...are beautiful animals in my book.

10/01/12  05:11pm

Mr olivers owner
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2281823

aww... she felt bad.reminds me of the youtube videos of dogs who punish themselves lol
and yet people still think they are mean creatures that want to eat you

10/01/12  08:04pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area