Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Zippo89   Cphill58   Zippo89   Ublaz   Fairy Frog Mother   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Zippo89
View Profile

Substrate Question

I’m currently doing some summer cleaning for my RTB’s enclosure and I was looking to change the substrate. I currently have her on Repti Bark with tile underneath. I’m looking to go to a cheaper substrate but not at the expense of her health. I’m not a big fan of astroturf or newspaper because if I don’t catch the "mess" right away it gets all over. Has anyone had any good experience with good/safe types of mulch or bark that maybe i can find cheap at a HomeDeopt or Lowes?
Thanks

06/11/12  11:31am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Zippo89   In reference to Message Id: 2269589

Substrate Question

If you live out east I understand that Lowes sells cypress mulch. I love and use cypress mulch for my boa/s. I wish I could get it here in the West but they only sell spruce and cedar in these parts....be sure to get ONLY CYPRESS MULCH...other products are mixed and after I called the manufacture via the 800 number on each bag I was not willing to take chances. Dyes are also TABOO So for me I have to buy it at the expos. I will not pay retail pricing for the Zoo Med bags.

One reptile store in Calif had 25# bags of Children’s Playground Cypress Mulch for reasonable prices. I should have bought 3 or 4 before moving to UT.

Aspen is cheap also...but I keep any humidity loving snake on Cypress Mulch.

06/11/12  02:59pm

Zippo89
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2269628

Substrate Question

Thanks for your help!
I was reading on some websites how cypress wasn’t good but other’s say its fine so its tough hearing conflicting arguments. It’s nice knowing that someone actually uses it and it works so I’ll definitely give it a try. I found some organic cypress mulch so I’ll probably pick up a couple bags.

06/12/12  11:35am

Ublaz
View Profile

Message To: Zippo89   In reference to Message Id: 2269733

Substrate Question

What do you mean when you say that newspaper causes a mess if you don’t catch it right away? Personally, newspaper is what I’ll always use ’cause of how sanitary it is. Not to mention it’s cheapest thing there is.

09/17/12  10:01pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Ublaz   In reference to Message Id: 2280647

Substrate Question

I like Coconut hull fiber, myself. When it dries out, its usually time to change it anyway.

09/18/12  05:16am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2280653

Substrate Question

Hey Mother,
I’ll be sure to keep that in mind....do you have a particular brand name you like....I notice that each type can be different than the other as far as coarse or shredded particles are concerned...

Post a pic or link , most helpful

TY

09/18/12  07:01am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area