Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DaExoSkelet0n   Fairy Frog Mother   DaExoSkelet0n   Getscared   DaExoSkelet0n   Getscared   DaExoSkelet0n   ShadowAceD   DaExoSkelet0n   Getscared   DaExoSkelet0n   ShadowAceD   Fairy Frog Mother   ShadowAceD   Rickr1964  

Member  Message

DaExoSkelet0n
View Profile

Boa Enclosures?

So i just bought a new boa from BoasAndBalls.com, it is due to arrive soon and i need some really good ideas and sites to purchase things for the tank, maybe a few tips and pointers on owning a Columbian Red Tail. If you ladies and gents would not mind posting some pictures of your enclosures and a few links where you get your hides, drift wood and heating fixtures and stuff from would be really appreciated, The local pet stores around me do not carry anything for snakes really and i have to get things around the web and i can not find anything for these size snakes, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

10/12/10  08:05pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: DaExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 2180704

Boa Enclosures?

Here is my large tank and an old set up I had.
Here is my males new tank.

I was able to get large pieces of cork from the East Bay Vivarium.
You can collect Oak or other hardwood limbs or bark from the wild, soak it in a bucket or tub with a bleach solution, then rinse well. Any pieces that will fit in your oven can be baked to further get rid of any nasties at the lowest setting you can get. (under 300 degrees) and bake til dry (about 20 minutes)

You dont want to collect cedar, Eucalyptus, redwood or any other aromatic woods unless you plan to fully varathane/marine Spar Varnish them and let them dry and air out for a few weeks.

For a bowl I was able to find one extra extra large bowl by Eco Terra I think...but they are hard to find. I used a small brand new small catbox for my male boa. This would also work turned upside down with a hole cut in the side for a hide.

Plants- I get fake plants at a craft supply store. Waaaaay cheaper than the ones you get in petstores. Used it for Laeldrils Boudoir

The light cages I made.

Little elbow grease and a lot of bending wires! Works great.

10/13/10  01:20pm

DaExoSkelet0n
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2180864

Boa Enclosures?

Thanks once again Fairy Frog Mother lol That is a amazing enclosure you have there, and those wood pieces are lovely, but i am mainly surrounded by cement, i would have to drive a good ways to find any trees that do not put off a odor cause all i really see around here is those thin and small pine tree’s :P
For which can not be used.
I thought about getting some foam and plaster and making my own .. i heard of a few people on here doing the same thing for like rock walls and stuff like that.

10/13/10  06:24pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: DaExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 2180928

Boa Enclosures?

One thing I did to make a little bit of a shelf for my ball python

I know it doesnt look like he would feel very secure with that as a hide but he really prefers it over everything else I have put in there. I think it gives him a bit more options for temperature too. If it gets too warm anywhere he can get up on top of it and away from the UTH. I had a stick going from one end to the other but he kept falling off of it so i took it out. He has no sense of gravity

I am going to put a background that wraps around the side then some fake plants in front of the hide to make it more closed off.

You may try looking on craigslist for things. Be creative! opaque storage bins for hide/shelves. Walmart fake plants. flower pots. pvc pipe for a climbing thing maybe, wrapped in something to make it less slippery.

is it a baby boa you are getting or an adult?

10/13/10  08:00pm

DaExoSkelet0n
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2180947

Boa Enclosures?

Yeah the boa is only 2 months old, 18 to 24 inches long the dude from the site said when i ordered her, he asked me if i had a tank ready for her on delivery and i was in process of getting everything. I have a tank, a 50gal long and a 30 gal long tank sitting here, but i might just go ahead and use the 50gal long and just put two cat liter boxes in there and use one for a hide and the other for a really big soaking area/water bowl .. maybe put some of those reptile rocks in it that you can get at pet stores so one end is deep and the other is kinda shallow so she can actually climb back out of it or just sit in the shallow area if she wanted, And i was gonna loadddd down the tank later on with either coc hush or bark later on all the way to the edge of the liter box to make it actually look like a small pond, buy maybe a small flower pots made of ceramic and put it at the other end, the ones with the hole in the bottom of em so she could use that as a hide as well, i seen a few tanks where people had pvc going from one side to the other with silicone gluing them to the tank walls and hanging vines and stuff in them and attaching drift wood to it, so i might do something like that as well .. ionno ideas are still floating around and i have a few days before she arrives before i actually have to start buying things.

10/13/10  08:31pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: DaExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 2180959

Boa Enclosures?

My boa is about the same age.

I would suggest using the 30 gallon. a fifty may stress the little guy out too much inless there is a LOTTT of foliage (in wich case you will never see the snake)

That all sounds like a very pretty setup! My suggestion would be to start off basic so you dont jump in to a huge cleaning responsability before you get used to everything.
I have a twenty gallon, a hide on each end. a couple of branches (vines would be nice) and a small water dish in the middle. I use newspaper as substrate.

Things to think about- the more you have in there, the more you have to take out and clean. If you have a huge source of water you will have to take that out at least once a week and replace the water, that alone can be a hassle, If you see your snake trying to soak go ahead and get a bigger bowl but many snakes do not even like to soak. So start off with the small tank and the bare minumum+some foliage for more security. then you can move up from there when you learn your snakes preferences and how much time you are willing to put into cleaning :)

10/13/10  09:19pm

DaExoSkelet0n
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2180982

Boa Enclosures?

Well as for cleaning goes, you seen the hassle i go through each week for my ball python deacon, and i really do not mind going that extra mile for my snake but yeah you did make a very good point, i got so excited i kinda over looked just starting out small and slowly working in things to see what she prefers and what she does not and whatnot.

10/13/10  09:41pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: DaExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 2180999

Boa Enclosures?

Most of my reptile specific supplies, heat pads and the like, have come from PetSmart or PetCo or mom and pop pet stores. The decorations are often obtained from arts and crafts stores. The water bowls, mostly for the larger ones, are either ceramic/plastic dog bowls or storage tubs you can find in the auto cleaning section of any Wal-Mart.

It’s not hard to keep neonates from being stressed out in 50 gallon enclosures. I’ve kept numerous neonates in them over the years and never had issue. I also keep an adult corn snake in a 75 gallon tank, which most people think would stress him out, but it doesn’t.

In the wild, nocturnal snakes move around constantly at night. They do not stick to a singular territory that would only be the dimensions of a 30 or 50 gallon enclosure.

I no longer use terrariums for my boas, but here are the ones I used to have set up.

50 Gallon

Helios is juvenile in this pic, but he was in the same 50 gallon from a neonate until I replaced the terrariums. I have always had extensive foilage in the enclosure and when he was tiny, he had two hides so he would always remain comfortable and secure.

The foilage was purchased in bundles at Micheal’s. All I did was cut them into strips, zip tie them together, and use hooked sunction cups on the side of the terrarium to hold them up. Really inexpensive and a good piece to look at when all is said and done.

50 Gallon

This was another 50 gallon that housed my DH Snow female when she was a neonate. You will notice there are three hides in this enclosure. The foilage was not yet put in, but even with just those three hides she was a comfortable and stress free animal.

50 Gallon Split

This is a 50 gallon that is split with a divider. I added it because the animals housed in it at Longicauda boas, which are dwarf boas and incredibly tiny compared to Colombian BCI neonates. Once again, multiple hides and foilage. Often I buy larger hides at pet stores, then saw them in half or into other pieces. The plastic ones work good too, but I mostly only get those for the largest of boas.

Another 50 Gallon Split

The 75 Gallon Corn Snake Enclosure

Home Built Enclosure I Switched To

You’ll notice that, with the larger animals, I no longer bother with the foilage and I have utilized litter boxes and other various methods for hides. This is because it’s hard to find prefab hides that can be purchased for larger adults. My females are just too large to fit in them anymore, so only my males use them.

The divided cages are housing neonates. Eventually, I will have to get another stack.

If you can help it, as the snake ages, I would look into upgrading into a Boaphile cage or something similar. They are just better for the animal in the end. Terrariums are great, but the upkeep of cleaning, maintaining proper humidity and temps is just far more difficult than homemade enclosures or plastic/pvc/melamine prefabs.

10/14/10  05:26am

DaExoSkelet0n
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2181079

Boa Enclosures?

lol Those are some really intense setups shadowaced, but when it comes to building setups or building a custom tank, no way on this earth would i be able to do it unless i find someone who is good with woodworking and stuff, i could not put together a coffee table that was prefabed lmao
As for the stacks i seen, i seen a few things i liked and maybe i can do a few things like that, i seen a picture somewhere on here where a person had taken a really large dresser, and used plex glass on the front and on the inside he used oak and sealed it up nicely and made it into like a 200gal tank (so he claimed it was that large and it may have been) and added in that box sticky ceramic tile from lowes as the flooring and walls for which i thought was pretty awesome, then put some things in it like i seen on yours such as the liter boxes but maybe get some non toxic paint and give them a more themed look to them though just for style but do you have any good pics or ideas of what i could use for venting and heating if i was to do something like that?

10/14/10  06:32am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: DaExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 2180999

Boa Enclosures?

Oh I didnt realise you were the one with Deacon haha. In that case have at it :P
but yeah a nice pond in a cage for a snake who hates water wouldnt be fun lol

10/14/10  07:14am

DaExoSkelet0n
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2181089

Boa Enclosures?

lol yeah i be that person, but yeah that is why i did not bother with all that so far .. but someone on here talked me into a custom tank so imma just stick with plain and simple with this current tank and then when i find someone to help me build this tank .. imma go all out ..

10/14/10  08:28am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: DaExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 2181100

Boa Enclosures?

Well ... I could build custom enclosures if I really wanted to ... but I don’t. I bought both those stacks along with five animals in a package deal from a local breeder for next to nothing. I just kind of lucked out that way. I spent about 2K on the whole package when I was prepared to spend closer to 3K on Boaphile cages (JUST the cages, not the heating or anything else, and definitely not five more animals).

As for heating, I use a type of heat tape, the name escapes me at the moment, but he requires minor saudering skills. For a singular cage, however, you can probably swing just using a UTH or some heat rope. You just need to do a bit of shopping. Understand though, it may be easier to just save up and buy a Boaphile or Boamaster cage (more ofte than not, you spend about the same amount of money anyhow). Especially if, as of right now, you just have the one boa and are not really looking into breeding as of now.

I have fifteen boas, and that number will increase by a few come next year.

If you do build a cage ... for ventilation, you do not see them on these pics because it was an afterthought, but we cut holes into the sides and stapled soft mesh over them to make vents. We just used simple do it yourself framing from Home Depot to make it look more presentable. The lighting in the cages are just for light and do not provide any heating. All heating is provided by heat tape controlled with thermostats, that aside, I keep that room at a constant 85 degrees.

Link

This site has good info about building a cage from scratch. You should give it a look over.

10/14/10  09:58am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2181110

Boa Enclosures?

YAY Thanks Shadow Ace D for sharing your stuff. I am still envious of your racks!
I got that white tank for 40 bucks. You can see the whole process I went through to fix it up on the Cages and Enclosures forum (Its a ways down on the list) and I posted a cage making post there to for the light cages.

Luckily I had a friend who could work the front wood for me. He ended up cutting off 6 inches, so its a 6 foot by 2.5 foot by 2 foot tank now on the white one. The other is a 4X2X2

10/14/10  12:01pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2181134

Boa Enclosures?

Thank you much. I am very happy with the racks, though once the breeding gets up and off the ground, they will probably eventually be sold and replaced with Boaphiles or something of the same quality.

I like your cages though. I’ve always thought them inventive. I just can’t have those types enclosures EVERYWHERE in my house. Lol

It was driving my husband nuts anyway. Now, the only terrariums we use are for the corn snake or quarantine purposes.

Also, it slipped my mind initially, but Home Depot and Lowes both have people willing to help you cut wood that you buy there so you can make sure you do it right. Also, nine times out of ten, the people that work there are very knowledgable about building and general and all kinds of do it yourself projects. So definitely use that to your advantage if that is the route you want to go.

10/14/10  04:37pm

Rickr1964
View Profile

Message To: DaExoSkelet0n   In reference to Message Id: 2180704

Boa Enclosures?

I came up with an idea. I had a closet not being used in a bedroom so I turned it into the ultimate boa enclosure. 2 sections, all light and heat is timer and temp controlled. Includes fake foliage, running water(filtered),waterfall, pond. It is 8’ high x 6’wide x 24" deep. I am not sure how to post images or I would. Figured pass on a relatively cheep enclosure. Just an idea.

06/12/15  04:27pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area