Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Steven11788   Bciaddict   Steven11788   Dragonwulf75   Bciaddict   Carlos...   Bciaddict   Dragonwulf75   Bciaddict   Steven11788   Carlos...   Bciaddict   Adambombs   Bciaddict   ScalesandSpindles  
 Member  Message

Steven11788
View Profile

Rtb in tub

since im starting my bps in tubs, i have to ask

what is the tub size, i’vr wrestled with ideal of getting one for some time, and talked my gf into getting one if it can stay in a tub, so i have 3 extra 75 gallon ones, will that work, what the pros answers

11/25/09  10:15pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Steven11788   In reference to Message Id: 2098956

Rtb in tub

Depends on how big the boa is.

I start my neonates in 12"L x 6"W x 5"H tubs then they move up to larger sizes as they get bigger.

I move them up to 18"L x 12"W x 6"H tubs until they are about 2.5 feet long.

Then I move them to 28"L X 17"W x 10" H tubs until they are about 4 feet long.

Then I move them up to either a 4’L X 2’W X 1’H Boaphile cage or to a 36"L x 19" x 6"H tub.

If it’s a very young boa it might feel insecure in a huge tub.

Tubs are nice because they are easy to clean and you can fit a lot in a small area. But they do lack a lot in ambiance. Many tubs are short, and don’t give a boa a whole lot of head room. Ventilation is important in a tub, sometimes they hold moisture too well.

If you use an under the tank heater (UTH) don’t be surprised to see the bottom of the tub warp a little from the heat.

Amie

11/26/09  07:40am

Steven11788
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2099039

Rtb in tub

thank you, how much do the bophile enclosures cost

11/26/09  10:46am

Dragonwulf75
View Profile

Message To: Steven11788   In reference to Message Id: 2099100

Rtb in tub

It depends on size.i think the web site is Bophile.com . Personally I prefer not to use tubs because it looks institutionalized to me. If you have a large collection or you breed them I can see where they would be needed for space saving,but for one or two I would rather spoil the snake and give it the room to roam and climb and explore. Setting up the enclosure to look really nice is part of the fun for me. Guess i’m just weird like that , but thats my thoughts. Happy Tureky Day.

11/26/09  12:16pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Steven11788   In reference to Message Id: 2099100

Rtb in tub

For the cages the website is www.boaphileplastics.com

Last time I bought the 421D model the base price was $209 shipped. You add heat, lights, locks, etc...the price increases with whichever addition(s) you put on them.

Amie

11/26/09  02:04pm

Carlos...
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2099145

Rtb in tub

Hey Amie can you please post a picture if you can of the cage...thank you

11/27/09  12:14pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Carlos...   In reference to Message Id: 2099374

Rtb in tub

Here’s my stack of Boaphiles. Sorry about it being a little cockeyed. I took the picture in the dark the other day, couldn’t see to line up a good shot. :)

Here’s my other set ups...we modified the closet in the snake room to fit the "hatchling" bins.

The other side of the closet is set up as my work station...I can always add more space for baby tubs if I need it.

This is the rack with my 12"x 18" x 6" bins:

The next rack is one of my "grow-out racks" these are the 17" x 28" x 10" bins I hate the red tops, but they were technically holiday storage bins :)

These are the 33" long bins.

Amie

11/28/09  07:40am

Dragonwulf75
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2099621

Rtb in tub

Wow thats a lot of snakes you have. Do you breed and sell or just keep them all for your self? I like your snake room. If i tried to have that many my wife would probably divorce me. The up side to that would be that i would then have the space for them . lol

11/28/09  11:37am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Dragonwulf75   In reference to Message Id: 2099644

Rtb in tub

Currently I have 63 boas. I breed them mostly for myself, but once in a while I sell a few. Our house has two master bedrooms, the snakes have what was the old MB which is pretty cool, and they have their own bathroom which is very handy.

By the way, thanks!

11/28/09  01:01pm

Steven11788
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2099660

Rtb in tub

BC, i think i have snake-room envy, omg that is amazing give me time to get out of collge, my room is on the waiting list, ohhhh, i love the boaphiles.

11/28/09  02:24pm

Carlos...
View Profile

Rtb in tub

WOW thanks,now i cant wait till my taxes come but I’ll have to.How much did those top four cost you all together?That’s what I’m going to get since I’m only going to have four boas and a couple of racks for the babies.

11/28/09  03:22pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Carlos...   In reference to Message Id: 2099679

Rtb in tub

Carlos,

The Boaphiles are still $209 (base price) shipped, I added the 1.5x heat pad underneath for another $35 or so, I don’t remember off the top of my head. I didn’t buy them all at once...wish I could have, Jeff offers a discount if you buy a stack (or more).

I got the grey colored cages for my pituophis, thinking that the black cages wouldn’t reflect enough light...but I have since sold all of my pits. I have noticed discoloration in the lighter colored cages where certain boas poo. I plan on getting black cages from now on :)

and to Steven,

LOL!!

Amie

11/28/09  04:17pm

Adambombs
View Profile

Rtb in tub

im thinking about getting the boaphile 421D it measures This cage is 48" long, 24" deep front to back and 11.5" tall. This cage is available in Black, White or Gray. Are you happy with the ones you have and would this one be large enough to house my RTB forever? And would this be to big for a baby RTB to start out in?

01/14/10  06:17pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Adambombs   In reference to Message Id: 2113706

Rtb in tub

A 421D would really be very large for a baby boa. You would possibly need to add extra heated areas and more hiding places than if there was a larger boa in it.

The 4 foot cage will work for boas up to 7 feet. Although they won’t have much room to move around when they are adults. I take my boas out constantly to get exercise to make up for that.

Black is the most common color chosen. I do have two grey Boaphiles because I had Pinesnakes in them. I wanted the lighter cage to reflect more light without going to a white cage. The problem with the light colored cages is that poo stains them.

Amie

01/15/10  06:19am

ScalesandSpindles
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2113813

Rtb in tub

Have you considered looking at other cages? I know Constricors Northwest makes some great cages. They have two lines of cages, one made out of HDPE (which is the same plastic that they make milk jugs out of, totally safe plastic, only much thicker for strength), and a slightly cheaper line made out of ABS (same stuff that Animal Plastics cages are made of, I think). They are about the same price as boaphiles, along with some discounts on stacks, and they don’t have that staining issue. Honestly, the staining really turns me off of boaphiles. Just think of all the germs and nastiness that accumulate in the porous plastic (Boaphile cages are expanded PVC, which is very porous) over the years and years that you will have snakes...just because you can’t see the staining on the black doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
Also, if you EVER break the cage, they will fix it free, no questions asked. The stuff is really strong, though. As far as I know, they’ve never actually had to fix a cage. HDPE is also completely recyclable, which makes the little green person inside of you happy.

02/01/10  08:41am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area