Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Corn snake   Bciaddict   Corn snake   Bciaddict   Corn snake   Corn snake   Fairy Frog Mother   TheSurfer   Corn snake   Bciaddict   Corn snake   Corn snake   TheSurfer   Corn snake   Bciaddict   Bciaddict   Corn snake  
 Member  Message

Corn snake
View Profile

Respatory infection still or hissing

Hey my 6ft male had a respatory infection 3 weeks ago i have had his temps up to 90 since then...But now when i got him out last night he does it non stop..Wasnt sure if it was hiss or a respatory infection...I hope its not a RI but not sure...But he did the sound like non stop while he was out..He hasnt ate in 1 3/4 of a month..So idk any info youcan hlp with

11/11/09  06:48am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094301

Well you mentioned when you got him he was in breeding mode, right? The previous owner had him in with a female? If that’s the case, it’s will probably take him a while to go back to feeding, probably months. Don’t be surprised if he refuses meals from now until spring.

As long as he is in good health and has decent fat reserves, it shouldn’t be a problem. Just pay attention for anything that could be a problem. Keep offering him food, but you don’t need to every week. Try offering food every three weeks.

It’s possible he’s just hissing at you. I have a few boas that "snort" at me, it’s sort of a closed mouth, short hiss.

Does the hissing stop when he’s put back in his enclosure? Or does he do it constantly?

You said that he had an RI before, was that confirmed by a vet or a guess by forum members?

Amie

11/11/09  07:48am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2094308

It was gussed at that time. But I’m pretty sure its a RI tho..When i was handling him last night he was making that sound and he made a sound like his nose was stoped up or somthing simalr to that..So pretty sure its not a hiss...But then agin i think he stops when he is in his tank not 100% sure wasnt listenign for it when i put him back up. But he isnt really aggresive he dont mind being handled..Could it be becuase i didnt handle him for about 2 weeks trying to let me relax that he is hissing? and yes he was in with a female at the time when i got him. his mouth is closed the whole time also..I hope its not a hiss lol rather not get him ticked off and striking at me..But once there out of the enclosure and moving all around do you think he would still strike at me when He is being handled?

11/11/09  08:51am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094318

If he does have a RI, I would suggest taking him to a vet to get the proper antibiotics needed to make him healthy again.

If he makes the noise outside of the enclosure but is quiet inside, he probably is just hissing at you.

If he continues to make the noise without any provocation then it may be a RI. Like, does he make the noise as soon as you walk in the room, or after you have been doing something to get his attention?

Since you seem convinced that he does have an RI, don’t take him out to handle him much now, the warmer temps in his cage are better for him if he is ill than the cooler temps outside of the enclosure. If his immune system is already compromised, I wouldn’t chance subjecting him to other possible contagions.

Yes, a boa can/will still strike when handled if for some reason they feel the need to. Honestly, I’d rather a snake that hisses at me than one that is ill. :)

Amie

11/11/09  10:41am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2094344

Yea..hmm I’m gonna try to listen more and see if he is doing it while in his enclosure.....But if I’m handling him and he stops the noise and dont make it then it was prly a hiss right? Cause RI he would be making that sound every time he breaths not just some times.

11/11/09  10:49am

Corn snake
View Profile

I hope he is just hissing but wont know till i get home from school...He dont have any saliva that comes from his mouth or anyting so its not to serious atm..I dont think i will be able to afford a vet visit atm not till x-mas..Which is bad....I’m 15 so hard to get one set...But it kinda sounds more like a hiss not a weezing....Does him hissing mean he really dont want to be bother right now..and the sound is more like longer not short its like 8 sec..Could it be maybe he is ready to eat? lol

11/11/09  12:31pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094368

By the time an RI gets to the stage its got saliva bubbling its really gone into the equivalent of Pneumonia. The vet bill will be much higher, as the snake will probably need injections.

I suggest spending time in the room its in, do your homework reading while next to the cage when its quiet in your house and listen for any signs of the sound, as amie suggested while its in its enclosure.

In the meantime, see if you can do some odd jobs to save up for a vet check. Better to err on the side of caution then wake up to find its too sick to recover.

11/12/09  01:07am

TheSurfer
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2094618

just to add to this, I currently have a boa that has a minor RI. I see liquid that emerges from her nostrils when she exhales, then goes back in when she inhales. While she’s in the cage she does not make a sound, it’s when I pull her out is when I can hear her exhale. Almost like an exaggerated sigh. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago and got a prescription of amikacin (antibiotic) . I would definitely take yours to the vet asap. It’s not that expensive. My vet visit was 50, and the prescription was only 25. It’s worth it!! Let us know how it goes.
Will

11/12/09  01:38am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2094308

Alright..I was cleaning our his water etc and i just put my head in on the other side of the tank and sat there for about 5 min listening i only heard him make 1 sound the whole time..It was like a cough kidna sound which i think may be a RI and he opend his mouth and yawned..If RI Is cleared with high temps then how could it get worse? I can get him to a vet if needed just dont know any around here that will accept reptiles.

11/12/09  12:31pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094713

An RI is a bacterial infection.

Here, read this....

http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html

Melissa Kaplan’s pages on reptile health are top-notch. :)

Amie

11/12/09  01:12pm

Corn snake
View Profile

alright from reading that Its a RI. So do you think i would have to take him to a vet or could i call and get the antibiodicts that i would need and them explain how i would have to treat him. Or should i just take him strait to the vet? Cause its been cold and dont want to stress him out much. I just want him to get rid of the dam RI..

11/12/09  01:57pm

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094735

Alright called my mom up befor wrestling practice for her to call the vet and i will be taking him saturday $20 to walk in and then w/e it cost for this shot they will be givig him think she said it will be aroud 75$ for it all does that sound about right?

11/12/09  06:33pm

TheSurfer
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094817

$75 for one shot?? first make sure it’s a series of shots. one shot will not be enough. For all of my antibiotics it cost $25 for ten injections. Oh, also it would be necessary to take him in b/c the dose of each injection depends on the weight. Its really great your taking him in.
Will

11/13/09  12:13am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: TheSurfer   In reference to Message Id: 2094916

The lady said it usualy only takes 1 shot to clear it up....lol..So I’m prly going to get riped off....well this is lame idk what to do.

11/13/09  06:41am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094735

You should take the boa to see the vet. The vet will have to take a culture to see what strain of bacteria the boa is infected with. Then decide which antibiotic is best. A vet that is willing to "fix" a reptile over the phone is NOT the vet you want!

I am not aware of any RI cure that takes just one shot.

Amie

11/13/09  07:05am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2094958

I suggest you go to the American Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians (ARAV) website.

Go to "Member Directory".

You can search for vets by just typing in your state.

Amie

11/13/09  07:16am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2094318

alright went to the vet it was a uper RI. They gave him a shot and breathing treatments. Then gave him some type of food for nutrietns she said. Cost me 38$ and i have to take him back monday/wensday/friday for shots and it wilcost me 18$ each day so a total of 92$ wasnt to bad. Does that sound about right on what they should have done? and i got him home cleaned out his tank complty and all but he is in his tank and wotn stop moving he keeps opening his mouth non stop and is opening it and lettign his toung hang out and pushing his face to the window..Is this ok or normal?

11/14/09  11:17am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area