Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Carlos...   Carlos...   ReptileJay   Carlos...   ReptileJay   Bciaddict   Carlos...   Carlos...   Fairy Frog Mother   Jere000  
 Member  Message

Carlos...
View Profile

Just bought a 2 year old 5ft colombian red tail boa

About a month ago i came across a boa in the pets section on craigslist that had been up for about a year,they just kept reposting.So i bought it for only $75,it came with a tank 30in L. by 12in W. by12in. H.It was in horrible living conditions there was old shedding and urates everywhere,its water bowl looked like it had blood in it.They told me that it had temperament problems and it had bit them 3 times in the past year...good that’s what they get.They also told me as they were leaving my house that they power it,this was after i payed them.the cage they had her in is like 20 or 30 gallon"30in L. by 12in W. by12in. H",the poor thing could barely stick her head out of her hide.well I’m glad to say that she now has a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft wooden enclosure.Shes eating great and i take her out of her enclosure to roam the living room for like ten minutes every other day.The problem is she doesn’t hold on to me when i want to pick her up she swings wildly that’s why i put her in the living room and keep an eye on her.she hasn’t bit me yet but I’m sure the day will come someday.Do you think it was because of her old living conditions that she is acting like this?Will she die at an early age because she was power fed or can this be reversed?Will her temperament change if handled regularly?"They didn’t take her out only during feeding time".Will she be able to breed?if yes then when?"she is two years old,5ft,and kinda fat but i will keep her till the day she dies!

11/10/09  08:21pm

Carlos...
View Profile

Message To: Carlos...   In reference to Message Id: 2094155

11/10/09  08:32pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Carlos...   In reference to Message Id: 2094160

Wow. That is a big girl. Well, good for you for giving her a good home for starts. I don’t have a lot of experience, but I would say a diet is in order, because she looks overweight. Maybe someone else will disagree, but at 5’ long, she shouldn’t be that big around. I can’t help you with how often you should feed her to get that extra weight off. Hopefully BCIaddict (amie) chimes in, because she knows more than I ever will, and probably knows what to do to get this girl healthy.
I can offer you this. Don’t assume she’s going to bite. Treat her good, and with respect, and she may never bite you for her entire life. I know a boa that is powerfed will die very young. I don’t know what happens when you stop power feeding though. She’s only two, so hopefully if you get her to a normal weight (if that’s possible at this point) then I think she could still have a long life. I don’t know if she’ll make it to 30, but hopefully she won’t die at 5-10 yrs old. Good luck.

11/11/09  12:56am

Carlos...
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2094261

hey reptilejay thanks for the reply...im now feeding her every two weeks "xxl rats"they barely leave a bump on her stomach

11/11/09  01:04am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Carlos...   In reference to Message Id: 2094264

Great. Like I said, I don’t really know what to tell you about the feeding. I think if it was me, I would probably go even smaller on food. Maybe a large or XL rat every two weeks. But again, I’ve never had to deal with an over-weight snake. Best of luck to you man.

11/11/09  01:06am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Carlos...   In reference to Message Id: 2094160

Do you have other pictures of her? It looks like she was fed prior to this picture, so the bulge I see is probably the rat, right? What I see in this picture is her front half looks large but her back half doesn’t...maybe it’s just me?

The previous owner said she was powerfed? If that’s the case...

How many rats was she taking at each feeding? Power feeding will shorten a boas lifespan if it continues for a long time. If you slow her feeding rate down to a more normal level you will alter the path she is currently on and prolong her life from the path it was headed.

If she’s taking 1 xxl rat every two weeks, then I would start off giving her 1 every 3 weeks.

If she was taking 2 xxl rats at each feeding then I suggest dropping her down to 1 but stay with every two weeks, then eventually drop her down to one xxl rat every three weeks.

Then I’d bump her down to maybe 1 xl rat. I have a 4 years old, 7 feet girl that takes 1 xl rat every 2 weeks but I’m trying to get her weight back up.

In reality there shouldn’t be a very noticeable bump after a boa eats.

You have to go slow when putting a boa on a diet, crash diets can do more harm than good, especially with a critter with such a slow metabolism.

Most likely when she ’swings wildly’ it’s due to the lack of decent muscle production. She should be taken out every once and a while to get some exercise. Nothing too rigorous at first, just let her crawl on the floor, or on a couch, somewhere clean where she can stretch out.

Also, if she hasn’t been handled much her ’swinging wildy’ could be that she’s seeking a place to latch on. Many boas don’t feel secure when a person is holding them until they can wrap their tail around something, arm, leg, torso...whatever. I read somewhere (I don’t remember where now) that boas have a fear of falling, and that is why they swing around and "flounder" when held, and why they fight when being put back down into their enclosures. They think they are falling.

I have a female Peruvian that does not tolerate being held, she feels most secure when her entire belly is touching something solid. If I try to handle her, she is very squirmy until I put her down. Once she’s on the floor, I can sit on the floor next to her, and she’ll climb all over me.

As far as breeding, if she’s overweight then her weight issue needs to be addressed first. She won’t be sexually mature for another year or two anyways....but she would need to lose the extra pounds first.

The blood you saw in her water dish...has that happened while she’s been in your care? It’s possible that the blood was not hers.. it could have come from a feeder rodent. But if it appears again, keep and eye on where it might come from.

Most likely she will calm down over time. But it may take her a while. If she’s associated humans with nasty living conditions and human=feeding time, there’s no telling how long it will take, just be patient with her.

Amie

11/11/09  07:33am

Carlos...
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2094306

11/11/09  04:23pm

Carlos...
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2094306

The first picture i posted of her was on feeding day,she was in a 10 gallon tank.They didn’t tell me how much they were feeding her.She is currently on 1 XXL rat every 2 weeks,I’ll drop her to every 3 weeks.The blood in her water dish was in there when they brought her,thank god there isn’t anymore or else it might have been hers.i think that they fed her in her enclosure that’s probably why there was blood in there....thank you so much for the info i really appreciate it.

11/11/09  04:36pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Carlos...   In reference to Message Id: 2094432

If you can find a nice heavy weight branch for her to climb on, make a couple of hides in her new enclosure, perhaps a large rock or two...things to entice her to explore and use her muscles.

Being power fed in a cage too small to maneuver in likely has caused all of the issues Amie described above. You want to give her many opportunities to move. 20 minute baths in the bathtub a few times a week wont go amiss either. Swimming is excellent for people and animals needing to burn a few extra calories without injury to the back as the water makes you buoyant.

1 XL rat ever two weeks and keeping her cage clean with plenty of fresh clean water, and making sure her heat and humidity are correct, and giving her opportunity to exercise should help get her back to normal weight over time.

11/12/09  01:01am

Jere000
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2094616

Well from those pics that boa is not over weight she has a nice good body weight and from the pics i can’t see anything wrong with her she looks nice and lean and muscular good skin she seems in good condition.

12/03/09  01:40am

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area