Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Corn snake   TheSurfer   Corn snake   Corn snake   Kyoss   Steven11788   Corn snake   Fairy Frog Mother   Corn snake   Silenceafable   Quan the snake lover   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Corn snake
View Profile

My new red tail! Pics!

Here he is! 6ft male...But he hasnt ate in 1 month becuase he was supposd to be breeding but breeder had to get rid of him and female..So stopd it...I know your supposd to wait a couple days after getting him but treid to feed him today he denied several times...I hope he does eat tho.

10/20/09  11:56pm

TheSurfer
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2086706

My new red tail! Pics!

nice looking male you have there. but if you want to keep him for a long time then. . .get that lamp out of the cage! I’m really hoping that it’s just a weird angle. That will cause severe burns that could end up killing your new friend. You can set it right on top of the glass or screen if you want, just get it out of there.

10/21/09  12:58am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: TheSurfer   In reference to Message Id: 2086739

My new red tail! Pics!

LOL! Trust me i know..Thats how the owner had him.In a few or so after he settles my dad and i are mountin a light fixture in there with net over the lght so he cant touch it...

10/21/09  06:28am

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2086796

My new red tail! Pics!

But..The guy said he had the lamp like that for 7 months and watchd the snake he said the snake would put his head beside it on the glass but he never touchd it and i actually saw him do it last night..He made sure he was away from it...But me and my dad are replacing it at a diff angle and putting chicken wire on it so he cant touch the light..This is a jewlery show case so not much options..lol

10/21/09  06:53am

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2086800

My new red tail! Pics!

... FYI, Even though you got the "screen" over the light doesn’t mean it will protect against the snake touching it. The outsides of the lamps get pretty hot, if not really hot. You need to do what’s best for your snake, or well, Bye Bye he goes or there will be a good decrease in life expectancy.

10/25/09  02:00pm

Steven11788
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 2088484

My new red tail! Pics!

def agree with kyoss, get a UTH(under tank heater)< thats an accident waiting and begging to happen

10/25/09  07:38pm

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Steven11788   In reference to Message Id: 2088579

My new red tail! Pics!

I’m working on it...You dont know how thick the bottom of the tank is..No heat pad will work on it.....i cant put it in side cause it will get to hot like a lamp...The guy had him like that for 7 months..I seen the snake go close to it then went back down with out touching it..I’mworking on a way to move it...

10/25/09  07:50pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2088584

My new red tail! Pics!

How does the tank get ventilation?

You can get another piece of glass to put on the floor of the tank, and mount a UTH on the underside of that, and glue 1/4 inch thick rubber washers on the corners (some of the commercial UTHs you get at the store come with little "feet" to use under your aquarium, and you can use these instead). Be sure the glass has a radius cut on the edge (Means the edges are rounded and not sharp)

10/26/09  02:15pm

Corn snake
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2088775

My new red tail! Pics!

On the side of the tank they took out the glass and replaced it with this type of thick wood and drilled 20 wholes into the side..The humidity stays perfect and the temps stay around right...He is fine trust me i have taken care of other snakes I’m not a complte idiot about reptiles as i may sound..I just got this guy thats how it came..I just can go into his cage right when i get him and start hamering around in there and moving him makin him more stressed..I mean right now its been about 1 1/2 months since he has eatin..He was being cooled to breed for a month or so there for he needed to warm back up to eat...He also has RI when i got him so trying to get his temps to around 90 to clear that..I’m just curious since he has RI does that mean he wont eat? I treid to feed him once...Just thought he might eat since its been so long but he didnt ...Would RI keep him form eating?

10/26/09  05:49pm

Silenceafable
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2088827

My new red tail! Pics!

When my ball python had gotten an RI, she stopped eating. Once it was cleared, she went back to pounding rats like a champ. Your guy could be off feed for several reasons. The RI is a good possibility. Another is that he is in breeding mode. I never cooled my male last year before putting him w/ a female, and right around mid November, he just didn’t want to eat. I put him in w/ a female, and they locked over and over again. He didn’t eat again until March. When they get into breeding mode, they only have one thing on their minds :)

10/27/09  10:16am

Quan the snake lover
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2086706

My new red tail! Pics!

What size tank is that

02/05/10  03:37pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Quan the snake lover   In reference to Message Id: 2120686

My new red tail! Pics!

Its a display case, not a regular tank. They can be adjusted to make decent cages, but you really have to watch humidity/heat etc. Sounds like he and his father had plans to make it work better. Hope the snake is doing well!

02/08/10  12:46pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area