Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Karlmc   Cobra 82   Karlmc   Fairy Frog Mother   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Karlmc
View Profile

My new RTB

SO, i bought a red tail that i found on craigslist today. had to drive like 2 hours to pick it up, but it was worth it. i got the snake, heatlamp, in tank heater, waterdish, 20 gallon tank and a 45 gallon tank for guess how much...... 25 bucks. the snake is a little more than 4 feet long but the kid was still keeping her in the 20 gallon cage, but ill change her set up soon. she looks really nervous and stressed and i think its cuz of the small cage.
there was no hide box of any kind, i am thinking of using a shoe box but idk if i have to clean it at all before i use it, or what else i could use, i dont have any plastic containers big enough to hold her.

sorry this is a crappy picture but here she is

ill try and put up pictures of her cage and some better ones of her tomorrow.
thanks all!

karl

07/12/09  09:56pm

Cobra 82
View Profile

Message To: Karlmc   In reference to Message Id: 2038297

My new RTB

What a beautiful boa!!

07/12/09  11:09pm

Karlmc
View Profile

Message To: Cobra 82   In reference to Message Id: 2038337

My new RTB

Here are some new pictures, I know the cage is too small and Ill be getting a new one in a few weeks. This is the cage that she had been living in for the last 8 months though with her previous owner, and that makes me kinda sadd.

shes purddyyy

any suggestions on how i could make her cage better until i get a bigger one?

thanks!
karl

07/13/09  09:26am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Karlmc   In reference to Message Id: 2038447

My new RTB

She will definately need a bigger water dish. And poor thing in that tiny enclosure for her size. Be sure to take her out and let her streatch out- a bath in the bathtub wouldnt go amiss. Also, is the tank covered on top, or do you live somewhere with high humidity? She should have 55-70% humidity ( It looks as if she is going into shed right now with those blue eyes and her skin- so closer to 70% would be good for a decent shed) I dont think putting anything more in there would be good, or she wont have any room to move, but when you get a bigger enclosure ( or build her one) she would do well with a water dish deep and big enough that she can soak in it. Also, be sure to get a thermostat with dual probes if you can find one, one for the hot side, one for the cool to measure the gradient, and a hydrometer so you can be sure her humidity is right.

For tank size, Id get at LEAST a 4’ long x2’x 2’ for her. A 6x2x2 would be even better if you can afford it and have the space. That should do her for her lifetime. Then put in hides on both ends. These can be made with fake plants and half logs. Ive even used a heavy stick and wrapped fake fern fronds around it to make it look like a real plant and provide cover, but so I can peek behind it to check on them if need be...or move it because thats invariably where they like to poop...right by the water dishes, under the hide.

Some people will never understand that snakes DO NOT GROW TO THE SIZE OF THEIR ENCLOSURE!! Im glad you do, and good job giving her a better home.

07/13/09  01:28pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2038594

My new RTB

In tank heater? Do you mean under tank heater? DO not use a hot rock inside the tank for her. Many very bad burns and deaths have occured.

She does look gorgeous though!

07/13/09  01:30pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area