Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Red Tail Forum

Felicia Lanae   Noonan768   Fairy Frog Mother   Broceaus  
 Member  Message

Felicia Lanae
View Profile

Red tail boa 9 foot eating live

I have a nine foot red tail. I was told it only eats live. How hard would it be to get it to eat f/t. I dont want to starve it in the process. any thoughts?

05/22/09  02:49pm

Noonan768
View Profile

Message To: Felicia Lanae   In reference to Message Id: 2009363

Try a thawed one with tongs. Move it in front of him and see if he takes to the smell. You might wanna wait an extra day or two past his normal feeding schedule.

05/22/09  03:14pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Felicia Lanae   In reference to Message Id: 2009363

It isnt that hard with most boas. If you use a pair of tongs and dangle it about 6 inches from the snake (being careful not to hit the snake) and bounce it just a little so its moving...usually they will strike and eat it. You dont have to starve your snake, but sometimes missing one feeding is necessary. Going without food for a week wont hurt your snake, and its better than an infected rat bite!

There are other tricks if that doesnt work. Look up old threads on here, there have been several posts on the subject recently.

05/22/09  03:14pm

Broceaus
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2009376

mine will eat frozen thawed with no tongs takes bout a half hour. i have 4 they all started on live had no problem switching to ft and now back to live killed. those fts stink up my whole house. i also had a batch that mustve been dead before frozen made my snakes very sick for weeks. they got skinny n almost died.

i just spend the xtra cash on the live ones and whack em over the head before putting them in w the snakes.

if u dont have the heart to kill those cute little rats hold them right in front of the snakes mouth so that the snake bites the rats head and theres little chance your snake will get bit.

05/22/09  07:42pm

Back to Boas-Red Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area