Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Rainbow Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Rainbow Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Thornadin   Takahiro111   Thornadin   Thornadin   Takahiro111   Thornadin   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Thornadin   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Takahiro111   Snakesitter  

Member  Message

Thornadin
View Profile

Rainbow Boa Temps

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a rainbow boa baby. His/her hotspot (UTH) is at 86 and the cool side gets to around 74-75. I am also using a zilla mini halogen 25watt night time bulb. Ambient temps are 70-78. I can’t use a regular sized lamp and bulb because it gets too hot and apparently the plastic on the screen lid isn’t heat resistant....should have bought an exo terra..but you would think they would use heat resistant plastic on a reptile cage...just saying. I am using a zilla 12L x12w x18h on its side with foil covering part of the screen until he gets bigger. My humidity is 99% with a humidifier so its not soaking wet. However, the top of the substrate hotspot is 79 and I am wondering what my options are for raising the temps on the substrate. My boa likes to dig and so I don’t want the glass to get too hot...but on another forum someone said they keep their hotspot at 90-92. Is this safe for rainbow boas? I read too high of temps can be fatal. I have thought about removing the substrate and just have paper towel on the glass but this guy really likes to dig and I hate to take that away. The ecoearth is only about 1/4inch deep then I have moss on top of that. Also, I am having trouble deciding what size mouse to feed. He is currently on 2 mouse pinkies but I have read they could do mouse hoppers as hatchlings. (I just got him on Sunday so I have not attempted to feed him yet.)

Thanks!

Lora

10/15/14  07:48pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Thornadin   In reference to Message Id: 2310351

Rainbow Boa Temps

High temps can be fatal but I’ve read that tubs are ideal for these snakes but the best person that I know can give wonderful and correct answers is cliff(snakesitter) he breeds. rainbow boas and helped me out a lot with my burm and boa. I’m also plan on getting a rainbow from him in the near future but he’s a busy person so it’ll take him time to respond or try messaging him about your concern....I’m sorry I couldn’t answer your question but I lead you a person who could :)

10/15/14  11:35pm

Thornadin
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310352

Rainbow Boa Temps

Thanks! Hopefully he is able to reply soon. I have been looking at the other forums and he suggest no higher than 82. On other sites I read that their hot spot needs to be 86. Seems like everywhere I look suggests a different temp range. My boa seems to be pretty happy though. Loves to be handled and is a bit reluctant to go back in its cage...although I only handle him a little bit each day to make sure everything is going good. This one is not nippy at all so that is great! My boa is pretty active when I have him out but has been staying in his hide while in his cage except last night he had his head poking out of his hide cave. I just want to make sure I have his temps perfect before I attempt a first feeding to minimize stress.

10/16/14  12:13pm

Thornadin
View Profile

Message To: Thornadin   In reference to Message Id: 2310355

Rainbow Boa Temps

Everywhere is saying tubs are better than terrariums and so thinking ahead to when I will move my rainbow boa and my ball python into their perminant enclosures, would it be possible to build/buy a 2-4 snake rack system and be able to achieve the different temperature and humidity requirements of these two species and as well as maybe adding another snake or two that may or may not have the same requirements? A set up like this would fit nicely in my dining room since I am lacking floor space in my living room

10/16/14  03:34pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Thornadin   In reference to Message Id: 2310358

Rainbow Boa Temps

People do say tubs are better but I’m not into tubs or racks because my burm and boa is beyond large and heavy and my temps and humidity is ok in their cages. I tried housing my ball and kings in tubs and they hated it. But their known to hold temps and humidity good.

10/16/14  06:52pm

Thornadin
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310361

Rainbow Boa Temps

Originally I had planned on getting an exo terra for my ball python..he is in a 20gal long now and seems to be doing good in it so far. I am still waiting to feed them on Sunday to give them a week so they aren’t so stressed but the last time they were fed was Oct 4th since I bought them last Saturday and Sunday. What kind of cages do you have your burm and boa in? I was planning on putting the python in an Exo Terra for his perminant enclousure and then the boa in the 20 gal when he gets bigger. I would prefer tanks to tubs because I know it’s not impossible to make them work, and I am not planning on getting any more snakes...just the two. I have also read that under tank heaters can be bad news for heavy snakes so hopefully I can get some advice on how to build the boas perminant enclosure.

10/16/14  08:04pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Thornadin   In reference to Message Id: 2310362

Rainbow Boa Temps

I don’t use under tank heaters I always stuck to basking bulbs because it’ll give them some light... My adult albino burm is 17’ and I had to switch his cage to make it taller because I discovered last month that he’ll climb when he want to so its custom built to 6-7’x4’x3’ and the red tails is 8’. so his is 6’x4’x3’ (LxWxH)...they say snakes like small spaces but they use every inch. My burm I had for 13 yrs and red tail for 4yrs and I love them lol best snakes a person could ask for :)

10/16/14  11:08pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310366

Rainbow Boa Temps

Hi Thornadin, and welcome to world of rainbow addiction. ;-)

Takahiro, thanks for filling in for me! :-)

A high temp of 9-92F is *not* OK…those people will have dead rainbows. In fact, anything over 85F can cause problems if there is no cooler area to escape to. I aim for a gradient of 82F warm end to 72F cool end. You temps seem fine, and your boa will tell you if he/she likes it warmer or cooler -- by spending all his/her time on the warm or cool end.

If you are wary of undercage heating, a good option is a radiant heat panel. They are more expensive, but do a good job, and simulate the natural direction of a warm sun.

Two mouse pinks is too little food. Go for a single mouse hopper, or better yet a single rat pinkie.

I do not like tubs for snakes (except babies or quarantine). These animals, especially once older, deserve the space and stability of a full enclosure. Too many people who preach about tubs do it to minimize space per animals so they can cram more snakes in and breed more.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

10/17/14  01:56pm

Thornadin
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310384

Rainbow Boa Temps

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely don’t want to take someone else’s bad advice because I thought that 90-92 seemed a bit off and I want a happy healthy boa! I definitely would rather have a nice stimulating enclosure for my snakes instead of using tubs because I am not trying to cram a bunch of snakes into a small space. I plan to give my snakes what they deserve and what will make them healthy and happy as appose to just having them thrive. Does anyone have any advice on what size mouse I should feed my 1.5ft ball python? I wanted to go with rats, but pet stores around me don’t have smaller sizes (only small to jumbo). I looked into ordering online but how fast would the boa outgrow the rat pinkies plus shipping is crazy expensive? I am willing to order online if that ends up being the best option but obviously I will still have to get something from the pet store for now. I had plan on switching them to rats once they get a bit bigger and could handle what the pet stores have to offer. Anyways the pet store had been feeding 1 mouse hopper to the ball python per week. So it makes me wonder if the boa can handle a mouse hopper couldn’t my python handle something bigger? I’ve had both of these snakes for about a week so this will be my first attempt feeding them.

10/17/14  02:38pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310384

Rainbow Boa Temps

Your welcome...well thornadin I told you he’ll answer lol :)

10/17/14  02:40pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310393

Rainbow Boa Temps

LOL, once I found it!

You can always ask a local pet store to special order a few of a smaller size as an additon to their regular order. That way you can get a few different sizes for them as they get bigger. Most stores are happy to do so, specially if you give them other business.

Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

10/21/14  01:53pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310446

Rainbow Boa Temps

Your right...the petland discounts store I always went to I got to know everyone and the manager well since I was a regualr customer lol but some will do special orders but sadly nobody sells feeder rabbits so I have to spend over$20 to buy a regular rabbit not to mention how hard it is to get healthy birds :( but this responsibility comes with these giant animals. Good thing I get discounts when I buy a lot of stuff :)

10/21/14  04:12pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310448

Rainbow Boa Temps

Takahiro, ask your local reptile society where their members get their rabbits and birds. I gurantee you can beat that price. If no help is forthcoming from them, check with local rabbit or chicken farms...I’m sure the chicken farms don’t care, and the rabbit breeders have the occasional injured or non-pet animal they would be happy to sell for a discount rather than put down.

10/22/14  01:40pm

Back to Boas-Rainbow Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area