Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Garet   Florida boy   Garet   Florida boy   Garet   Blade Redwind   Florida boy  
 Member  Message

Garet
View Profile

Tips....

i was planning on breeding my female colombian this next winter and was just wondering if anyone could help me out with special techniques or anything. i know the basics on what to do though. im not sure if she will meet the size requirements by then though, she is 4.5 feet and a little less than 2 years old, so this will be her 3rd winter. also this question is just out of curiosity, is it bad to breed 2 boas from the same litter even if they havent seen each other their whole lives? and by the way this would not be the case with me. any advice would be appreciated.

04/10/06  12:52am

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Garet   In reference to Message Id: 733140

Tips....

Breeding Sibling should not be done. Why would you think it would be OK if they havent seen each other in there life? They still have the same genetics.

I also wouldnít recomend breeding that female unless she is 6 feet or more. Breeding under weight and size will practically dwarf your snake. The litter might not make it will be generally small and you will have a small count. Your female will never reach her potential and may die an early death.

I would recommend that you do more research. One guide I like to read from time to time is this one.link

04/10/06  07:11pm

Garet
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 734197

Tips....

well first of all i never said i thought it would be ok to brred siblings, it was just a reassuring question. i have done a lot of research and i have 3 books on boas and they each talk a lot about breeding and i know what to do, all i asked was if anyone had special techniques. and lastly i know that she is too small to breed and i know the consequences of doing it too early. i was just asking if you guys thought that she would be big enough by november or december.

04/11/06  05:26pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Garet   In reference to Message Id: 735580

Tips....

If you think she is growing at a rate where she will make that 6í mark then go for it. i have a boa that has grown about 13" since the end of last october. Shewas a touch or two under 4 and a half feet when I got her and is now 5í7" growing around 3 to 4 inches a shed. I doubt she will continue this rate for long otherwise she will be around 7í by october which I find highly unlikely. I my self was doubting if she would get up to size in time espesially since she is salmon so she has a bit of dwarf in her. I want trying to attack you I was just wondering why you thought it would matter if they hadnít seen each other, just a weird concept to me I guess. If you want her to breed then you really got to up her temps some and boost the feeding. Iím not talking aboput powerfeeding or anything Iím talking a small increase of prey size and shorter periods in between. If you can get her to eat 1 more rat a month it might make the difference. My female only eats when hungry but she puts away 5 to 6 large to jumbos a month. Its usually jumbo out of shed 7days digestion, 3 to 4 larges in between 5 days apart usually, with a jumbo the week of her shed. This boa is by no means obease neather shes almost all muscle which worries me to a small degree.

04/11/06  09:07pm

Garet
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 735994

Tips....

thanks ill try to increase the size of her prey and hopefully shell get up to size, if not then next year for sure

04/12/06  07:16pm

Blade Redwind
View Profile

Message To: Garet   In reference to Message Id: 737438

Tips....

Very good information, but Iíve been told by quite a few people in the industry that its ok to breed when theyíre about 5 feet, and no shorter in length.

04/27/06  08:42am

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Blade Redwind   In reference to Message Id: 760477

Tips....

Well by no means am I an expert but I beleive this only is true for island localitys and "Dwarf" boas from Central American Regions and so forth. There are also other breeders that wonít breed there BCIs untill they are 3 and a half years old and well over 6 feet. Most beleive it is wise not to rush things. Size isnít the only thing that matters. You can grow a female to 6 feet in a year if you want to but will she be sexually mature enough to have a successfull litter with full term/ fully formed babies. Maybe but I wouldnít risk it. Plus you would be risking the health of your female severely.

04/27/06  07:03pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area