Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Bluflagsolja   Florida boy   Violetta   Florida boy  
 Member  Message

Bluflagsolja
View Profile

Need Sum Help

hi i have some question here for you experienced breeders out there.
1.I have male albino boa(kahl) that i want to breed in the future with a female salmon boa Poss. Super Salmon i was wondering if all the offspring would be DH Sunglow or is there a possibility for anything else?
.2 I herd that female salmon boas do not get as large as regular boas, if so how big does these animals get, and aslo will this be a problem at all?
.3 Last one, what is cooling and is this necessaryfor breding ?and also how old does the male and the female need to be to breed?
Thank You you for all that answer my question.

03/07/06  08:53am

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Bluflagsolja   In reference to Message Id: 681209

Need Sum Help

1. If the salmon is a super then all of the babies would be 100% DH sunglow. If she is not a super then the babies that come out salmon will be 100% DH and the nomal looking babies will be 100% het Albino.

2. I have also heard this as the salmon/hypo trait is originated from different regions of Central America so there is some Dwarf blood in there but the salmon trait has been highly out crossed into colombian boas so the size difference wouldnt be much. I dont know the size difference as that would be hard to tell, but I do know that salmons can be smaller when bred.

3. Males reach sexual maturity at 18 months of age.
Females reach sexual maturityat 30 months(2.5 years) Generally they should be 6 feet long at the minimum, if they are breed earlier than that then they will continue to have a small clutch size and will never grow as large as they can. This doesnt particularly apply to salmons but should be as close as possible.

03/07/06  06:39pm

Violetta
View Profile

Message To: Bluflagsolja   In reference to Message Id: 681209

Need Sum Help

As far as I know, no cooling is required for any boa. Someone please correct me if Iím wrong, but I donít think thatís required.

03/30/06  12:54pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Violetta   In reference to Message Id: 716968

Need Sum Help

Yeah I forgot that. oooppppsss! Cooling is a method used by a lot of breeders but according to Jeff Ronne it is not nessasary and he doesnt do it. I think it is up to the individual breeder. Cooling is suppose to trigger a breeding urge in both snakes. By reducing food intake and steady temperature drop a climatic change into winter is suppose to occure. Then temps are slowly raised for breeding.

03/30/06  06:41pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area