Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Cold_weather_herps   ES_Tropicals   Violetta   Florida boy   Hillbilly   Unluckyseventeen   Scaleywags   Unluckyseventeen   Scaleywags  
 Member  Message

Cold_weather_herps
View Profile

Cross breeding boas

Im looking into breeding some boas, but id like to learn some things first. Is it not safe to to breed to diffrent species of boas, for example and columbian red tail boa with an argentine boa? Or would it just not work? Any comments on whether this is an idea or not..

02/24/06  07:20pm

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: Cold_weather_herps   In reference to Message Id: 665682

Cross breeding boas

It works..and they have been done, its just your call on if you want to do it or not..too many snakes it seems are being cross bred out, so its hard to say what is what anymore in some cases.

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

02/24/06  09:33pm

Violetta
View Profile

Cross breeding boas

Itís completely possible, and not a bad idea. Though the cross-breeding out is always going to be an issue...it comes down to personal choice. Itís a plausible endeavor, just up to you if you want to put the time in to pursue it.

03/15/06  04:41pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Cross breeding boas

Like every one said. Yes it is possible its just a matter of your choice. Take into concideration that pure blood is more desirable. Cross breeds or "mutts" are less saught after, you could drop them on pet stores or a wholesaler but your not going to make much money. There are two crosses I know of now that are doing well is Salmontines(salmonXargentine) is beautiful IMO. the other is called a sunset cross. This is a salmonX Hogg. Now this one I dont agree with even though a very reputable breeder has turned it into a highly saught after morph. The reason I dont like it is that there are some speciese like Hoggs that are endangered or beleived to be extict except for in captivity. I beleive Hoggs are one of those species that need to be kept pure for conservation reasons.

It all comes down to you. I use to not have a problem with cross breeding but once I found out about the Hoggs I changed my mind. Just think about the rate that the rainforest is being destroyed at. Pretty soon (hopefully a long time from now) there will be no wild boas alive and then the only ones in captivity will be cross bred mutts.It makes me sad.

That being said it is "safe" but is it responsible?

03/15/06  07:33pm

Hillbilly
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 694140

Cross breeding boas

I think the main thing would be to first question why youíd wanna cross.
Size and color are probably the two main reasons to cross anything. I know people who have bred similar snakes with other smaller subspecies in an effort to create dwarfs, or to enchance color, but as florida boy says, they are still mutts and unless your goal is to keep a bunch of babies, you may not be able to find buyers for them.
If its for health reasons, like for example, the diamondXcarpet cross I believe , thats another story. You could take one type of boas that is very easy to care for and breed it to one that is pretty but a more difficult one to keep, in an effort to produce a happy medium between the two. I could be wrong about the diamonds though, but I think they were originally crossed because they were somewhat difficult to care for. Its been so long that now diamondx is pretty much the norm.
I do like looking at hybrids but as far as breeding, who am I to undo what nature has done for millions of years, and in my opinion, Preserving something as nature intended in a natural setting is awe inspiring in itself.

03/18/06  01:46pm

Unluckyseventeen
View Profile

Message To: Hillbilly   In reference to Message Id: 698092

Cross breeding boas

Keep the bloodlines pure. The last thing the market needs is a schlock of random Boas that donít even make sense anymore. The most beautiful kind of Boa are the ones that should naturally occur.

Screwing with cross-breeds is unappealing, and to most of the community, an unethical idea.

03/25/06  04:58pm

Scaleywags
View Profile

Message To: Unluckyseventeen   In reference to Message Id: 708683

Cross breeding boas

Just curious...If everyone wants to see what nature intended, the yellow rat snake is breeding so heavily with the orange rat, that the yellow orange cross is wiping out the pure orange...

Color morphs of snakes are derived from gene mutations, normal snakes are bred out of generations in order to produce more mutated specimens. In the wild, a snake displaying one of these gene mutations would not survive, because it has no camo.

So, what is the difference between depleting bloodlines with hybrids, and depleting bloodlines by causing recessive gene mutations to become more dominant?

Are we not undermining nature by breeding these animals to begin with?

Again, not trying to start an argument, just trying to get people to think outside of the box.

03/25/06  05:53pm

Unluckyseventeen
View Profile

Message To: Scaleywags   In reference to Message Id: 708786

Cross breeding boas

That is a natural breed. Is an Island Boa and a BCC a real mix? Iíve seen it done before and it results in really aggressive, polluted snakes. I donít want to go around at the petstores and not be able to identify a Boa because people want to make these 15% Argentine, 10% Bolivian, 25% Suriname... etc etc...

Thereís nothing more beautiful than a NATURALLY occuring locale. Boas from Brazil donít breed with Boas from Mexico. Apparently people think itís "cool" do this, and they have no other reasoning behind it.

The people that breed because itís "cool" shouldnít ever be allowed to tinker with such a thing.

You should also check out the NERD website. They are obsessed with cross-breeds and morphs, but since sometimes they are rare, they just inbreed and make for handicapped and ugly, polluted snakes. Did that snake deserve to be like that because some idiot decided itíd be "cool"?

If your answer to that is yes then please donít ever touch a snake again.

03/25/06  06:50pm

Scaleywags
View Profile

Message To: Unluckyseventeen   In reference to Message Id: 708881

Cross breeding boas

I think you missed my point. Nature is unpredictable, and man, is an undeniable part of it. People of all sides of all arguments on the topic of all animals can use that "isnít what nature intended" bs to pad their points.

I said I didnít want to start an argument. Your last post shows that it isnít really your view of what you think nature intends, its just a personal opinion of yours, which is absolutely fine.

It is my personal opinion, that nature, and all of its animals, man included, are acting naturally by constantly evolving and performing experiments in order to learn more.

In short, life is natural, as are all aspects of it. Its okay to feel strongly about something, but just because someone brings up a different point to think about, it doesnít mean you should get angry.

You only stated one cross you dissagree with, but there are many out there that are not undesirable. There also isnít a mass of people who are into cross breeds, I highly doubt that animals will disappear because of cross breeding in captivity. Look at dogs and cats...endless muts their, tons of pure breeds too.

03/25/06  11:19pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area