Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Boa_1290   Florida boy   Florida boy   Florida boy   Florida boy  
 Member  Message

Boa_1290
View Profile

MALE OR FEMALE ?

I HAVE A 6FT 5-INCH COLOMBIAN REDTAIL BOA ABOUT 8-10 POUNDS EATING JUMBO AND COLOSAL RATS I WAS WONDERING HOW TO FIND OUT IF IT IS A MALE OR FEMALE I WAS PLANNING ON BREED BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO PURCHASE IF YOU HAVE ANY METHODS OF FINDING OUT IT WOULD HELP A GREAT DEAL THANKS

02/23/06  06:12pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Boa_1290   In reference to Message Id: 664082

MALE OR FEMALE ?

With a boa that large the only way to know for sure is to have it probed. I highly recomend having a Real reptile vet do this. Find an ARAV vet in your area and go there. If you have this done by an inexperienced person(this includes any vet that is not ARAV) and they do it incorrectly you can seriously damage the animal.

The other way to check is to look at the spurs next to the vent. This is not a 100% way from what i know but could be wrong. If it is a male it should have fairly large spurs. If it is a female she will either have little spurs or no spurs at all . My large female(62") has no visable spurs (it kinda looks like they are recessed into the body like a little hole or big dent.)

02/23/06  06:50pm

Florida boy
View Profile

MALE OR FEMALE ?

With a boa that large the only way to know for sure is to have it probed. I highly recomend having a Real reptile vet do this. Find an ARAV vet in your area and go there. If you have this done by an inexperienced person(this includes any vet that is not ARAV) and they do it incorrectly you can seriously damage the animal.

The other way to check is to look at the spurs next to the vent. This is not a 100% way from what i know but could be wrong. If it is a male it should have fairly large spurs. If it is a female she will either have little spurs or no spurs at all . My large female(62") has no visable spurs (it kinda looks like they are recessed into the body like a little hole or big dent.)

02/23/06  06:50pm

Florida boy
View Profile

MALE OR FEMALE ?

02/23/06  06:51pm

Florida boy
View Profile

MALE OR FEMALE ?

02/23/06  06:51pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area