Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Airforcebuddy   Airforcebuddy   Anole_keeper   ES_Tropicals   Airforcebuddy   ES_Tropicals   Florida boy   Florida boy   Florida boy   ES_Tropicals   Airforcebuddy   Florida boy   Airforcebuddy   Florida boy  
 Member  Message

Airforcebuddy
View Profile

Itís been a while.. but boa breeding

I am about to purchase an Anery Female from a friend. her father was normal, her mother was anery. my question to you is this. would that make her 100% het for anery? and what would I get if i were to mate her with an albino? or my normal male? Iíve tried the genetics wizard thing... it helped a little... but iím looking for more. the punnett squares are of no help to me, unless i get my biology teacher over to my apartment to help me out... haha. well any feed back would be great. thank you

Kyle
AkA Airforcebuddy

01/27/06  03:10am

Airforcebuddy
View Profile

Message To: Airforcebuddy   In reference to Message Id: 623074

Nevermind... i think i have it pretty much figured out!

01/28/06  07:48pm

Anole_keeper
View Profile

Message To: Airforcebuddy   In reference to Message Id: 623074

First of all, yes that would make her 100% het Anery. But now a punnet square would actually be useful. Amelanism and Anerthyrism are both simple recessive genes and "normal" is dominant. So if you paired her up with an amel., youíd get: all offspring 100% het amel. and roughly half of the offspring also het anery. If you paired her up with a normal, half of the offspring would be het anery. Hope I helped,
-Adam

01/28/06  07:58pm

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: Anole_keeper   In reference to Message Id: 625361

Yes she is 100% het anery if she was from a anery bred to a normal, as stated above bred to an albino with both themselves being recessive traits the babies will be 100% het albino and 50% possible hets for the anery trait itself, and pairing her with a normal babies would be 50% possible het anerys.

Genetics are odd things sometimes lol.

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

01/28/06  10:06pm

Airforcebuddy
View Profile

Message To: ES_Tropicals   In reference to Message Id: 625552

Ok... I did some research (it actually felt like i was doing a college biology scienctific study of some kind... haha). I found some stuff about punnett squares, that broke it down alot! through that I was able to find out that I need 2 double hets (1.1) for both traits. So basically when I breed the anery to the male albino, iím gonna get 25% babies that are double het. unfortunatly, I donít know which 25% ...

01/29/06  05:13pm

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: Airforcebuddy   In reference to Message Id: 626422

Well breeding 2 double het animals you should produce anerys, albinos, normal possible hets, and with good luck some snows.

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

01/30/06  04:44pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: ES_Tropicals   In reference to Message Id: 627766

Well Im very confused!!! I thought I had this thing all figured out.Ill finish in a miniute. Sorry.

01/30/06  05:31pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 627869

As my memory serves me an anery bred to a normal will produce a litter of normals that are collectively 50% het for anery. Not 100% het. So I would say that your boa is 50% het for anery. If you breed her to an albino you will get a litter of normals that are collectively 25%het for anery and 50% het for albino. If she is in fact 100% het for anery then the % will change to 50% het for anery and albino(aka 50% het snow). If you cant prove her out as positive het then your %s will be completely speculative.

01/30/06  05:57pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 627911

Also if your boa is infact Anery (this means that she displays the anery trait) then the only way she could be from a normal boa is if that normal parent was het for anery. If she is Anery then she is 100% het. If she looks normal then she is either 50% het or 66% het.

01/30/06  07:48pm

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 628145

If an anery is bred to a normal animal all offspring will be 100% het for the anery trait..same as if you bred a albino to a normal..all offspring would be 100% hets as well.

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

01/30/06  11:55pm

Airforcebuddy
View Profile

Message To: ES_Tropicals   In reference to Message Id: 628720

she does display the trait of anery. no red what so ever! so it is possible for her to be from a normal (het for anery)

01/31/06  01:53am

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Airforcebuddy   In reference to Message Id: 628837

Yes You are correct. My bad. Its been so long since Ive thought about simple recesive traits. God only knows where my head was. So yeah if she displays anery then she was produced by a het and an anery.

01/31/06  09:30pm

Airforcebuddy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 629982

The next question is when should I start power feeding my female? from what I understand it is when I bring her our of hybernation? is this correct?? and how long should i power feed?

02/04/06  01:28pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Airforcebuddy   In reference to Message Id: 635027

OOOH!!!! NEver heard of power feeding being a good thing. Here is a article Jeff Ronne Wrote for Reptile Mag.lots of good infolink

02/06/06  06:30pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area