Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Florida boy   Florida boy   Florida boy   Florida boy   Dave123   ES_Tropicals  
 Member  Message

Florida boy
View Profile

How big???

I just got a very pretty hypo female.Shes 50" and appaerently still kind of young.I was told 10months but i know better I contacted the breeder Texhiss and he said probably mid í04. my question is how much do you think she will grow by this time next year as I intend to breed her.Also I have her on med rats but it barely put a lump in her bellie like she didnt even eat.shouldI move her up to large or should I wait a while mabee till next shed? if I dont hear anything Ill feed her another med on Fri and see how she looks.Also when there this size how often do they shed?

11/02/05  10:01pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 529767

How big???

I did some more mesuring.she is 50 1/2" and 5 3/4" in width at her fattest point. now the biggest med rat I could get was 5 1/4" around.too small.but Im afraid a large will be too big should I feed two smaller items and if so how do I go about doing this??? any help thanks.

11/05/05  10:54am

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 532280

How big???

bump come on guys any help.

11/09/05  05:59pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 537086

How big???

damn this forum is dead. thanks for no help

11/10/05  07:02pm

Dave123
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 538404

How big???

This forum is not dead, your question is just hard to answer without seeing pics of the snake, a med. rat, a large rat, and the snake after it eats one of each lol, which is why your judgement is the only answer...

But I would say go to the store and look at a large rat...If it look way too big, then feed your snake 2 med. rats at a time until you are confident it can handle the large rat.

It will probably shed every month or every other month.

Also, you didnt even specify what kind of snake it is.

12/01/05  06:51pm

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: Dave123   In reference to Message Id: 561184

How big???

Im guessing he is talking about a hypo colombian boa, the way to tell if you need larger food items is basically if your current size of prey is just not leaving much of a lump, you should probably bump it up a bit, if they canít get the food item down, they generally will not eat it once they figure out that it is too big for them and will start spitting it back out. As far as breeding goes, closer to 3 yrs of age is generally when most colombian females will be both of good age, as well as size and proper body weight for breeding, animals may have length to them, but they need proper breeding weight to sustain giving birth, especially looking at how much goes into the development period for baby boas.

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

12/01/05  08:18pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area