Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Machomanaf   Ibanezy2 "james"   Ibanezy2 "james"   Machomanaf   Florida boy  
 Member  Message

Machomanaf
View Profile

How do I breed my redtails?

I have had my 2 redatils for about a year. My female (shown below) is about 8 1/2 feet and very plump, my male is roughly 6 1/2 feet. They are currently housed together in a 125 gallon reptile aquarium. Should I seperate them before I start the temperature drop? shold I always keep them housed seperatly? I have never bred snakes before so any and all information would be helpful. Also, could anyone take a stb at what species this big girl is?

09/28/05  03:37pm

Ibanezy2 "james"
View Profile

Message To: Machomanaf   In reference to Message Id: 493532

well the first thing you need to do is make sure they are male and female...your pic is gone also...i would seperate them now if you can..keep them seperated for best results...i make sure my snakes are empty befor i cool them usually dec. jan. then start dropping the temp slowly still giving them a day night heat range with a 9.5 to 10 hrs of daylight,,on the warming you start feeding again and alot of boas go at it hard during this time...some boas dont need to be cooled as long as others b.c.i. is usually one of these boas but not always...

09/28/05  07:23pm

Ibanezy2 "james"
View Profile

Message To: Ibanezy2   In reference to Message Id: 493804

also some boas wont respond to cooling if they havnt been cooled before because they havnt been givin a season of spring "breeding" summer "more food availible" fall "start to cool" winter "coolest temps" its a cycle or seasoning your snakes...i like to start with babies and raise them on this method for best long term breeding...."some say longer life im not sure on that".....james.....

09/28/05  07:28pm

Machomanaf
View Profile

Message To: Ibanezy2   In reference to Message Id: 493814

Thanks for the info, Ive seperated the two snakes now, so I will try to start a temp. reduction during the next few weeks.

10/01/05  12:01am

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Machomanaf   In reference to Message Id: 496241

when you put them back togeather make sure you put the male in the females cage and not the other way around. Males will get teratorial and may try to attack her even though they "know eachother"

11/01/05  06:02pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area