Boas-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cphill58   Bciaddict   Cphill58   Cphill58   Bciaddict   Cphill58   Bciaddict  

Member  Message

Cphill58
View Profile

I have a friend....

Since I sell rodents and have developed many relationships over the past year or so , a friend says he will give me a baby boa from his breeding adventures.

he purchased a pair of hypo Sharp Strain sunglows...according to my text / phone. They will be 3 years this December 2012... and plans are set for mating.

I want to know what this pairing will throw for off spring, hoping to hear from Amie or other knowledgeable sources. The owner believes he will get sunglows, any others?

Thanks

04/06/12  09:19pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2261779

I have a friend....

Hey...

"hypo sunglow" is redundant. If it’s a sunglow, it is a hypo albino.

Yes he should get more Sharp strain sunglows with that pairing. Should even get super sunglows which would be pretty sweet.

Sharp sunglow x Sharp sunglow =

Sharp super sunglow (but they should be called possible supers until they’re bred to prove them out as definates)
Sharp sunglow
Sharp albino

Personally I would wait until the female was at least 4 years old to breed though, especially since they won’t be 3 until December.

Amie

04/09/12  08:59am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2262075

I have a friend....

Thank you Amie...
Shoot, I was quoting you when I told him they need to be 3...I read those words in the breeding section right here...

Even if I tell him your recommends , I doubt he will follow them.

04/10/12  12:56am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2262181

I have a friend....

Ok here is his response to the info you provided...he continues to use the "hypo" term.

According to his Punnet Square...
Hypo het sharp x hypo het sharp (I assume sharp sunglow) from previous conversation.
will produce for every 16 offspring...
1 super hypo Sharp Sunglow
2 Sharp Sunglows
1 Sharp albino
3 Super Hypo 66% het Sharp
6 hypo 66% het Sharp
3 66% het Sharp

Why is the term hypo redundant ?...what does it really mean ? where could it possibly apply
At 300.00 per snake (adults) I hope he didn’t get taken for a ride...
If I eliminate the term hypo from the table above it reads...

1 super Sharp Sunglow
2 Sharp Sunglows
1 Sharp albino
3 Super 66% het Sharp
6 66% het Sharp
3 66% het Sharp

Thanks for all your input...it helps me to get a grasp of such a complex process.

04/10/12  10:47am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2262203

I have a friend....

Ok,

If you can find where I said to breed at 3 years, I’d like to know...I can’t recall ever suggesting to breed that young.....

Anyways.... It sounds like your friend has hypos het Sharp albino not Sharp sunglows. There is a difference in which his predictions sound about right if they are hypos het Sharp

Since a sunglow is a hypo albino then, "hypo sunglow" is redundant...it would be like saying "hypo hypo albino"

A hypo het albino looks like a hypo.

A sunglow looks like a very vibrant albino (zero black or brown).

04/10/12  12:25pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2262218

I have a friend....

Your right ...this is the excerpt I read....

Quote:

You will want to wait a minimum of 3 years until the females are ready to breed. Males can breed at 2 years old. Personally, I wait at least 4 years for my females.

From this thread
New to the whole boa breeding/genetics... moonglow, snow, etc help!

So now that that is clear ...I thank you again. He is a well informed young man ...he is willing to wait as I handed him his frozen feeders tonight. He is speaking to some high end breeder , which I forget the name. Something "Blue" or Blue something. Not like I would know ??

His description indicates the female to be younger than I thought. He is determined not to power feed. This June I get to baby sit them for a couple of weeks.

Can’t thank you enough ...more questions will arise

Chris

04/11/12  12:03am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2262304

I have a friend....

No problem...

I bet he’s talking to Kevin Blumenthal of Blumen Boas. He deals with Sharp stuff.

Amie

04/11/12  09:20am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area