Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Just Curious~   Fairy Frog Mother   Just Curious~   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Just Curious~
View Profile

Do you need an incubator for snake eggs?

Sorry to say I’m not breeding boas exactly, but the other forums were dead, still snake eggs though. I’m breeding gophers for my first time.

I have no problem buying one, it’s just that when I was looking at reviews (Hovabator, reptibator etc) people were saying that the temps fluctuated with the outside temp. One poor soul’s got all the way to 100! My house doesn’t have air conditioning and the heater only comes on after 65 (summer) or 68(winter) so temps will fluctuate a lot! At least from 68-85 in a normal 24 hour period, could an incubator handle that?

It just so happens that the only place in the whole house that doesn’t have temp changes is my snakes’ critter condo. It holds temps well and they’re heated by ceramic heat emitters controlled by helix controls DBS 1000. It’s porportional so the temps stay steady. Also it just so happens that the tank is kept at 83 and the eggs need to incubate at 82
I was just wondering if I could fill a tub with hatchrite, put the eggs in there, put the thermostat probe inside too, and just set it for 82. It would have a lid so the snake inside couldn’t crush them....Just a thought.

What do you guys say? I’m not breeding until next year~

04/27/11  07:03pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2216239

Well, I can tell you that boa breeders dont ever worry about incubating eggs- as Boas give live birth. (at lest not for their boas. Now if they breed other species too...thats a different story.

Quote:

I was just wondering if I could fill a tub with hatchrite, put the eggs in there, put the thermostat probe inside too, and just set it for 82. It would have a lid so the snake inside couldn’t crush them....Just a thought.

I think this is a great idea. The fact that the eggs got over 100, it could be too late.

I have seen pictures and posts about many a homemade incubator- if you set it up on your heating system that you have for your tanks, it should be great.

Good luck with the clutch.

05/02/11  11:31am

Just Curious~
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2216923

*facepalm*
Boas....live birth....yes.... I think I read that somewhere before once upon a time. Sorry my brain doesn’t always work.
In case it wasn’t completely obvious I don’t own a single boa so I never really did real research into them. I just picked the "breeding" section that was more active after I didn’t get any response in the others. ^^;

Sorry about that, but thanks for humoring me! It’s encouraging to know that, I’m going to look into some more homemade ideas! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

05/13/11  11:04am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Just Curious~   In reference to Message Id: 2218798

It may be too late and you may not be back here to get this- but with eggs you also want to keep them in the same orientation they were layed- they should not be turned about or the snakelets can drown in their own yoke. One way to be sure up is up is before you move them- put a small gentle mark on the top with a felt tip pen.

07/07/11  06:08pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area