Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Serpentshideaway   Fairy Frog Mother   Serpentshideaway   Fairy Frog Mother   Serpentshideaway   Fairy Frog Mother   Serpentshideaway   Serpentshideaway   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Reluctant eater

How do you get baby boas to eat when they’re reluctant?

11/06/10  05:43pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2186039

Reluctant eater

You can try washing the mouse with ivory hand soap (Unscented), or scenting it with a little tuna juice or chicken broth. I have also just left the mouse in their tank and covered it with a towel when my female got shy about being fed.

This is one of the main reasons I started feeding in the tank with tongs. My female was getting picky on eating. She did not appreciate being taken out of her nice warm tank to be put in another container and having people moving around her. She wanted privacy.

Her favorite place to be fed is right outside of her hide. She will poke her head out, nab the rat and coil back inside her hide to feed half of the time. Who knew a 7 foot snake would be so dainty. Hehe

11/09/10  05:10pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2186589

Reluctant eater

I dont feed out of their cages but this one ive tried makin it a private feeding and still no luck tried live and frozen thawed so i think ill try what you said if they dont work i found another method that might work thank you for the help fairy frog mother

11/09/10  09:08pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2186636

Reluctant eater

There was another post that showed how to tube feed baby snakes. I would highly recommend having your reptile vet show you how before attempting it. In the meantime, put pedialyte (unflavored, clear mixed 50/50 with water) in its water dish.

Hopefully my suggestions or ones youve gotten from others help and you wont have to go that route.

11/18/10  08:16pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2188421

Reluctant eater

Thank you i dont tyink i would have thought about pedialite

11/18/10  08:27pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2188425

Reluctant eater

It does not give them any calories, but it helps with the electrolyte balance when they are dehydrated and can help boost them enough to get them to feel like eating.

11/19/10  04:04pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2188547

Reluctant eater

So a quick update on my little trouble eater i had him in a sterilite tote from walmart he wouldnt eat even tho temps and humidity were spot on id moved him to a ten gallon tank nefore i got the pedialite and tried to feed a lil bit later on in time and he ate for me and has become a consistant eater so to those who gave advice i thank you for the help especially you ffm i look forward to finding your postings they are always informative in my opinion thank you very much for that

01/11/11  03:03pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2197622

Reluctant eater

had the little one sexed today its a girl hahaha i really wanted a male tho

01/24/11  09:55pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2200852

Reluctant eater

HURRAY it ate!!! Glad she did. I love hearing about good outcomes.

Sometimes you just gotta find what works for the individual animal. Like my male boa...Sorrian. I hold him and he never settles down. Today, my hubby took him out- he was curious for a bit...then settled in as if my husbands arms were a big hammock. I should have gotten a picture of that.

01/30/11  01:34am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area