Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Blackdarkson3244   Fairy Frog Mother   Blackdarkson3244   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Blackdarkson3244
View Profile

Timing on breeding

I have 2 red tail boa’s both are right at 4 ft i wasn’t planing on mating them right away i would like to let them get more mature but i was wondering the best time for breeding if i live in Florida

08/28/10  03:54am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Blackdarkson3244   In reference to Message Id: 2172030

Timing on breeding

4 feet is still awefully small...depending on the locality of the boas.

My female is 7 feet long and JUST beginning to put on enough weight to consider breeding.
I have been watching adoption sites like craigslist and Animal care and control to see how many unwanted boas are in my area, and I will only breed if there arent a ton of babies waiting to be rehomed- despite the fact I have people making me offers already.

Generally, they cool off during the winter and are ready to be introduced in early february- but you want your female to be 3-4 years old at least!

My advice is to read many articles and google information, perhaps talk to a few breeders before you go ahead with your idea. Your thoughts on waiting are good. Take time to do more research. They can have between 12 and 60 babies in one clutch. (Live born) Then you have to put them each in their own container with heat, water, hides...feed them all after their first sheds and make sure they continue to eat a few meals before selling them. If you get a large clutch, this can be rather costly.

08/30/10  04:03pm

Blackdarkson3244
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2172568

Timing on breeding

thank you very much for the information and concern, thus making me glad i joined this site. not planning on breeding anytime soon it was just something i was looking into but thank you very much

08/31/10  01:16am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Blackdarkson3244   In reference to Message Id: 2172695

Timing on breeding

Me too, and I keep going back and forth and back and forth about breeding mine.
I talked to the guys at the EBV and they are willing to purchase babies I produce. (They said any babies I produce, but Im rather dubious about that *Chuckles*) SO, Im going to get my female in condition to breed next season (She is three years old now, and nearing 7 feet) When next season comes round Ill be checking to see how many "rehoming" adds there are in my area. I dont want to breed if there are TOO many already being born with no one to adopt them.

09/13/10  12:38pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area