Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Polaco7264   Polaco7264   ShadowAceD  
 Member  Message

Polaco7264
View Profile

Please help

I HAD A COUPLE OF SNAKES THIS PAST FEW YEARS .... I GOT INTO BOAS THIS PAST 2 YEARS ..I JUST SOLD MY 2 ADULT BOAS TO THE PET SHOP THEY WERE REGULAR BOAS.... I JUST WANTED TO GET INTO ALBINO REDTAIL BOAS SO I NEEDED THE SPACE.. THIS BREEEDER AROUND ME HAS A YEAR OLD ALBINO FOR 350 DOLLARS ...IS THAT A GOOD PRICE??? THERE IS A REPTILE SHOW IN PA THIS SATURDAY DO U THINK I CAN FIND IT CHEAPER THERE...??? I WANT TO BREED THEM SO IM PLANNING ON GETTING 2 REDTAIL AND BUY THEM TOGETHER FROM THE SAME CLUTCH AND KEEP THEM TOGETHER UNTIL THEY ARE READY TO BREED MAYBE 3 YEARS FROM NOW...????WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK AND RECOMMEND .. WOULD THEY B GOOD TOGETHER IF I BUY A VISIBLE ALBINO AND A HET ALBINO AND CAGE THEM TOGETHER FROM BABIES??

04/14/10  05:08pm

Polaco7264
View Profile

Message To: Polaco7264   In reference to Message Id: 2140614

Please help

HOW MUCH DO YOU GUYS THINK ILL B ABLE TO GET A VISIBLE ALBINO AND A HET ALBINO PAIR FOR?? AT THE REPTILE SHOW

04/14/10  05:17pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Polaco7264   In reference to Message Id: 2140616

Please help

Okay, first, as with anything, you get what you pay for. 350.00 isn’t terrible for a yearling Albino, even in the current market. Non-reputable breeders that sell for cheaper are likely selling you crap. Meaning, the animals won’t retain color well or just don’t have good genetics.

Second, if you do get a het. for albino and an albino breeding pair, getting them from the same clutch is not the best way to go if you ever have any hope of creating stronger blood lines. Breedings siblings to one another for albinos when there are so many others you can choose from that are outcrossed is not the best idea.

Third, do not house them together. Snakes are solitary animals and should only be together in order to breed and for nothing else. People do it with "success" but that is just because they have no had a bad experience yet. The chances of something going wrong are better than the chances going good. Also, consider where you are going to put 15-38 babies when they are born if the parents are in the same enclosure. Aside from that, you have a whole array of problems that can arise from housing them together which can include,but is not limited to: stress induced by struggles for dominance, the inability to realize who is deficating and who is not, the inability to tell who is drinking and who is not, having the feed them outside of the enclosure, the male stressing the female out as he will reach sexual maturity much faster than her, cannibalism etc. etc. Put them in separate enclosures or don’t get both.

Please note to, by the time your animals are mature, the price of albinos will be incredibly low. Even lower than it is now. So if you are looking for money, it’s not the way to go, not that snake breeding is lucrative from the get go.

Lastly, you can probably get them both for around 400.00, maybe less. All depends. Just don’t buy something just because it is cheap. Get info from the breeder and make an educated decision.

Hope that helps.

04/15/10  09:48pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area