Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Kat134   Jere000   Kat134   ShadowAceD   Jere000   ShadowAceD   Fairy Frog Mother   Mxracer4life  
 Member  Message

Kat134
View Profile

Help with breeding

Hey everyone, im new on here but thought it’d be a good place to get advice. I have 2 common boas which i planned on breeding this year. I just purchased them last week and was told that they’d been seen locked a few times. They’ve been living together for a good while, and i have them together in a big viv like the previous owners did, only thing is i havent seen any evidence of mating. Is it too late to breed them? is there things i should be doing to help them along? they just dont seem bothered with each other and iv been wanting to do this for a long time. Any ideas?

03/23/10  06:02pm

Jere000
View Profile

Message To: Kat134   In reference to Message Id: 2135481

Help with breeding

Well we need the size of your enclosure your temps and humidity in the cage and size and age of both boas.

03/24/10  03:51am

Kat134
View Profile

Message To: Jere000   In reference to Message Id: 2135612

Help with breeding

The female is an 06 and she’s bout 8ft long, the male is an 06 and is about 6.5ft long.
They are kept together in a 6ftX2ftX2ft and the viv is heated by heat lamp during the day and a heat mat at night.

03/24/10  09:16am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Kat134   In reference to Message Id: 2135672

Help with breeding

I don’t know if you’d have good odds getting them to lock up right now. It’s gotten warmer and most boas will have gotten out of breeding mode. I had a male that took longer this year due to the unseasonal weather. However, as a side note, get a second enclosure. They should not be housed together. It can cause numerous problems and unneeded stress. The heat lamp is also not necessary if you are achieving the proper temps necessary with the UTH alone.

03/25/10  03:42am

Jere000
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2135891

Help with breeding

AS long as a boa is sexually mature the size of the female doesn’t matter.Do they have separate cages?Also what are the temps and humidity in your cage.Shadowaced if i had a mature male i could breed right now my room is still at 75 degrees and i know few other pairs that are locked up in other peoples collection so it is not entirely impossible.

03/28/10  01:21am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Jere000   In reference to Message Id: 2136607

Help with breeding

I didn’t say it was impossible, I said the odds weren’t that great in general.

03/28/10  03:28am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2136612

Help with breeding

I would think the fact that they just MOVED into an entirely different household would have just a tiny bit of an impact...you said its been what...a week or so?

Give them time to settle in. Get the male a separate enclosure. Let her have her own space in case she is gravid. If you don’t separate him, he may not feed.

Good luck with your new acquisitions! and best make sure you have housing for each baby too ( racks rock)

04/16/10  02:08am

Mxracer4life
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2140977

Help with breeding

I agree. Boas should never be housed together unless you are attempting to breed them. For one, you need to give both boas atleast 30 days to ensure they are healthy. Keeping boas seperate is good for many reasons, some being to prevent health problems from transfering to snakes, being able to document when they shed, feed etc, being able to keep these notes will help you LOTS when breeding boas. Another important reason is with boas, housing them apart and then placing them together is sometimes all that is needed to get them breeding. Be patient, boas are slow moving with everything, especially breeding. Good luck!

04/16/10  12:08pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area