Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Terriwest88   Fairy Frog Mother   Bciaddict   Terriwest88   Jere000  
 Member  Message

Terriwest88
View Profile

New to breeding world

I have owned snakes for some time and know the basics and then some, but i am completely new to the genetics in depth as well as the breeding. I have 3 red tails, 2 of which were given to me by a guy that was shipping to Iraq, anyways.. They are supposed to be a proven 1005 het for albino set, not proven breeding as because they are just now reaching maturity age, both about 3-4 yrs of age 6ft female and about 5ft male. They have been in the same enclosure now for 5 months, and i am now thinking of breeding. I have been reading up on as much as i can find. Most things state that they should have never been put together until time of wanting to breed. Do i still have a chance? And can anyone give me the run down on what i should do to start etc? and also any info on what they should produce, everything i have read so far says that the litter should be at least half albinos..thanks!

02/25/10  11:33am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Terriwest88   In reference to Message Id: 2126981

New to breeding world

They are visual normals but one parent was albino I take it?
From my understanding, and I know the breeders here will correct me if Im wrong, a proven pair means they have been bred and some babies have come out albino.
100% het means they both carry the Albino gene and you know this for certain because they have a parent who is albino, and the other parent is a proven het albino.

Breeding a normal colored Het Albino (100% just means you know for certain it carries the albino gene) with another Het Albino should give you (statistically speaking) 25% Albino babies. Not 50. To get 50% you would need to breed your het Albino to an albino.

Also, any "normals" born in the clutch of a Het/Het cross are 66% het, not 100% because...25% of the babies will not carry the albino gene. 50% of them will carry the gene and the other 25% will be albino (of course nature likes to mix things up- so who knows) The thing is, you wont be able to tell for certain which "Normals" are Het for albino and which are not, until they in turn are old enough to breed and "Prove out"

Have I made that clear as mud yet? *chuckles*

I have a pair- two Hets for Albino, so Ive asked the same question before.

02/25/10  12:27pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Terriwest88   In reference to Message Id: 2126981

New to breeding world

They’ve been together for 5 months and haven’t tried to breed yet? Are you sure that you have one male and one female together? Sounds dippy, I know, but you won’t believe how many boas are mis-sexed.

Typically people in the Northern Hemisphere start a cool down and/or change in the amount of available daylight in the fall or winter because it works naturally with the outside temp and light cycle changes in their area.

But you do not have to do this to get Colombian boas to breed, it just seems to better your odds of getting them to breed.

Amie

02/25/10  04:35pm

Terriwest88
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2127087

New to breeding world

Yeah 99.9% sure one male and one female and to my knowledge no attempts at mating. It is entirely possible, but i myself have not witnessed anything with them. They get along great, almost always together. Should i be separating them for any period of time to initate the breeding season? Im just worried that i may have spoiled my chances to breed, with them being together for so long. I thought about doing the cool down cycle with them to see if that helps?

Neither of the snakes have been bred before to my knowledge, and the parents of either of them i am not sure of. The gentleman i got them from had just stated to me that they are 100% het for albinos, both are normals in color, so you can see where i am stuck.. no way to know without breeding them lol.

02/27/10  09:06am

Jere000
View Profile

Message To: Terriwest88   In reference to Message Id: 2127618

New to breeding world

I just have to correct you on one thing fairyfrogmother where you said.
"100% het means they both carry the Albino gene and you know this for certain because they have a parent who is albino, and the other parent is a proven het albino."
The other parent does not have to be 100% het albino all you need is one visual albino boa to make 100% het albino babies the other parent can be anything.

03/14/10  11:09pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area