Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Spaty   Bciaddict   Spaty   Bciaddict  
 Member  Message

Spaty
View Profile

New to breeding

Hello

We are new to breeding and dont quite understand the whole genetics yet. We have 3 females so far ... Motley 100% het Anery, Hypo Hogg and a Super Salmon. They will not be read to breed for a while but we were wondering what would be the most desirable male we could try to acquire ?

understandably it is also hard to predict the future value of anything .... but we were more inteerested in having nice morphs for our own and if the offspring could gererate enough to sustain our animals recoup our costs in acquiring them and then if we make a bit would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreicated. Cheers

12/28/09  03:12pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Spaty   In reference to Message Id: 2108682

New to breeding

Well what morphs do you want to produce?

Breeding the motley to anything will make motley in that breeding. If you go with Motley x Motley you could get a black/dark purple super motley, but they do not thrive. Currently there are no adult super motleys alive.

Now since your motley is het for anery (assuming type 1 anery) then you could breed it to an anery or a another het anery and possibly produce anery motleys, anerys, and normal hets.

The super salmon will produce more salmons when bred with anything. If it is bred with another salmon you will get all hypos in the litter, if it is bred with another super salmons than you will get all super salmons.

If you bred any of your females to an albino you could produce DH sunglows (with the super salmon and Hypo Hog).

If you bred the motley to an albino het anery you could make anery motleys het albino The albino motley is a neat looking critter and most motleys are already het for Kahl albino. You could possibly produce snow motleys.

Also if you try for a motley snow and put the super salmon in a future breeding you could conceivably produce motley moonglows. Although to shorten the take it’ll take to do this, then you would want to pick up an sunglow het anery.

But then again, it all depends on what you find desirable...make the morph that YOU want, what you will be proud to have in your collection, not what the boa "industry." The boa "industry" is a fickle thing....what’s awesome one week, can be crap the next....and vise versa.

Most likely you might not be able to recoupe your losses. Figuring in the costs of housing, feeding, vet bills, etc for raising babies over the course of a few years....most people barely break even.

Amie

12/29/09  08:23am

Spaty
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2108897

New to breeding

Thanks Amie

I picked up some book on boas and genetics as well. I did not know super motley’s do not thrive ..... is there some reason for that ??

I was thinking about an albino het anery. I really like the sunglows and moonglows. Saw a female that I can get for $1500 but I’d rather make my own because I don’t really trust the source the sunglow came from.

Thank you for your thoughts again .... Shayne

12/29/09  11:30am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Spaty   In reference to Message Id: 2108945

New to breeding

Shayne,

No problem. You can find some nice albino het anerys...

And so far most super motleys died before they turned 18 months.

Amie

12/29/09  06:20pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area