Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Viktortheboa   Bciaddict   Fairy Frog Mother   Phoenix23   Viktortheboa   Bciaddict   Viktortheboa   Bciaddict  
 Member  Message

Viktortheboa
View Profile

Thinking of breeding. any tips?

My boa is a year old so obviously its not sexually mature, but when he becomes able i was thinking of buying a female for breeding. So could anyone give me any hints or tips please? anything is appreciated........and by the look of him could anyone suggest any specific colour females for some groovy lookin’ babies?

12/15/09  09:22am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Viktortheboa   In reference to Message Id: 2105169

Well, if you do breed....make sure you’re set up to keep all of the babies. Which could number 30-50 average.

Amie

12/18/09  06:37am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2106069

Im feeling the itch to breed next year too. Had my girl out the other day and was struck at how lovely she really is. My female has put on a lot of muscle and is a good size (about 6 feet now) and will be three next summer. However, my biggest consideration is that there are so many breeders here in California, and even across the nation there are big name breeders still not putting pairs together due to an over abundance of snakes already here needing homes. I have about 5 friends who want snakes (none of em want albinos either) if I do breed...but like Amie said...30-50 on avarage is a whole lot of snakes and snake food to deal with. Can’t sell them until they have had their first sheds and are eating well- with the corns that took three weeks for two of them, and the two others have been problematic feeders (Finally they have eaten two meals in a row, and I dont have to wash every farkin pinky for the one really super picky eater with ivory hand soap!) Chances are I’d get some albinos from the deal, and if I got lucky, Id break even monitarily. 4 baby corns and my two boas are a significant ammount of work to feed, water, clean all of their enclosures, plus the mice. Before you decide to breed, make sure you know what you’re getting into, and check out the market where you live.

12/18/09  12:01pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2106105

Fairy froog mother..... I have seen your snakes and they are beautiful so if you do decide to breed i will take 3-4 of them forsure.... as long as your willing to ship and have a good price

12/18/09  07:13pm

Viktortheboa
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2106160

i’m a bit of a noob when its comes to boa species, so just so i know, is it possible to breed any boa with any other? i.e. a red tail with a columbian or a hognose with a rainbow, you know that kind of thing. because i was wondering if it was like the breeding possibilities of dogs, where you can breed most dogs together, is it the same with boa’s or does it have to be red tails with red tails and columbians with columbians? sorry for the noobishness.........:)

12/20/09  10:29am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Viktortheboa   In reference to Message Id: 2106499

Well you can breed other Boa constrictor subspecies together, although there are differing opinions on whether someone should do that...

Some people will have no problem breeding them, for example a Bcl X Bcc....But others consider that to be a cross-breed, a mutt and very undesirable. It’s best not to mix subspecies unless your trying to accomplish a very specific goal...like a certain type of morph.

As far as Bci x Bcc breedings, that is a little more accepted in the "boa world" since that is a cross that does happen naturally.

Now There are locality purists that won’t even cross certain Bci x bci such as Nicaraguan x Colombian....

As ar as crossing a Boa constrictor ssp with another genera like Epicrates (rainbow boas)...I say DON"T DO IT!!! it’s not worth it. I’m sure people have tried it in the past but that type of cross is considered to be a big no-no.

And as far as I know no boa has ever been bred or been succuessfully bred to any Colubrid.

Amie

12/21/09  07:24am

Viktortheboa
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2106799

Why is it a big no no can i ask? is it because of deformaties or something? thanx by the way.....:)

12/21/09  09:48am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Viktortheboa   In reference to Message Id: 2106836

There are a few things that are sort of taboo in boa breeding...

Why would you want to cross a boa with anything else? What would be the point?

Boa owners already have a hard enough time trying to classify their animals without introducing other breeds into them.

Amie

12/22/09  07:37am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area