Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Hskrborn   Bciaddict   Hskrborn   Bciaddict   Hskrborn  
 Member  Message

Hskrborn
View Profile

Salmon x pastel?

i found a really nice male pastel boa today and i was wondering what i could expect if i breed it with my salmon jungle 50% albino. i think i will get 25% normals possible pastel, 25% salmon jungle, and the rest im not sure. if im wrong could someone correct me. also would this be a good pairing to bring our more color of the salmon and some of the pastel?

thanks,

Bill

11/07/09  10:05pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Hskrborn   In reference to Message Id: 2093180

Salmon x pastel?

It’s too early for me to genetics math but your numbers aren’t quite right...., If you breed an pastel to a salmon jungle 50% het albino,

Theoretically you will get: salmons, jungles, pastels, normals, salmon jungles, pastel jungles, salmon pastel jungles, and salmon pastels all of which will be possible hets for albino (although they will have a very slim chance of being hets, unless the 50% het proves out).

One problem with that type of pairing is that EVERYONE has done it by now, and unless you have very high quality breeders (the best in color and cleanliness) you will be producing more of the same in an already flooded market. Unless you plan on keeping all of the potential babies....then you can feel free to do whatever you like :)

Another problem would be to correctly be able to identify the difference between the salmon jungles from regular salmon or the pastel salmon jungles. If you have a low-end jungle the babies produced may look more normal than jungle-ish. Same thing with a low end pastel. A pastel is really nothing more than selectively bred normal (bred for color and cleanliness).

"Pastel" and "jungle" are probably the two most used/overused/misused words in the boa language.

Also, many people can’t tell the difference between an aberrant salmon from a salmon jungle.

Amie

11/09/09  07:15am

Hskrborn
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2093621

Salmon x pastel?

so with what i have what would be a good pairing? im not really in for it for the money i just want to be able to substain my hobby of snakes and gecko’s. if you could give some suggestions on a mate for her i would greatly appreciate it. she is very clean and i will post a pic of her.

thanks,

Bill

11/09/09  04:07pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Hskrborn   In reference to Message Id: 2093733

Salmon x pastel?

Hmmm....a good pairing?? Well, if you’re not looking to make any money, and are willing to keep all or most of the babies, then just find a male that YOU like. One that is appealing to you. That way, if for some reason you never breed them, you’re still happy with them.

I currently breed my Nics for color, produced some pretty sweet ones the past two years...didn’t make a dime on any of them. Every other year, my snakes sales have sustained my hobby.

In my opinion, if you were to pick up a pastel to pair up with her, go with the cleanest, brightest lines you can find. I’d recommend something along the lines of an Inferno, Keller, or Harding, or EBV Red group pastel.

Amie

11/10/09  07:35am

Hskrborn
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2093941

Salmon x pastel?

ok thanks for your input. i just like to hear what ther people have to say or think.

Bill

11/11/09  01:11pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area