Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

FoxyLady6903   Bciaddict   FoxyLady6903   Bciaddict   FoxyLady6903   Bciaddict   FoxyLady6903   Bciaddict   Bciaddict   FoxyLady6903   Bciaddict  
 Member  Message

FoxyLady6903
View Profile

My female gravid or not?? PLEASE HELP

i have a LARGE female bci boa. i put her together with the male back in May and SAW them lock up in April up until late April. i left them together till the male no longer was interested in her. he also locked up with 2other bci boas i have. the one he locked up with first had a clutch of still borns n slugs about a month ago. i didnt even know she was still gravid after all this time, so is my large boa (her name is puddin’) and my 3rd female (cupcake) also gravid? and if so when should she lay? puddin does look larger than normal and not moving around as much as she was before cupcake still is acting n looking the same. all 3 were still eating like normal. i wanted to start their cool down but i dont want to have her abort what should i do??? THANKS!!

10/30/09  02:06am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: FoxyLady6903   In reference to Message Id: 2089936

If you think they might already be gravid, don’t lower their temps. They won’t abort, but they won’t have the optimum heat to gestate properly, and you’ll most likely get another litter of slugs, stillborns, and or premies.

When was the last time you saw them locked up? You can figure the possible due to be approximately 145 days from the last time you saw copulation.

Amie

11/01/09  06:40am

FoxyLady6903
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2090503

the last time i SAW them lock up was late april maybe early may. is it true that boas can hold sperm? i never noticed a ovulation lump n the lump she has now is still high up. another breeder i talked to said it might STILL be another 100days or so if the lump is still high up n not down by her vent because she JUST shed about a week ago. that seem like a LONG time for her to be gravid? and she is now breathing heavy? should i be concerned about this??

11/01/09  11:13pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: FoxyLady6903   In reference to Message Id: 2090858

I would have a vet check her out...

Yes, boas have been known to hold sperm, but if she’s carrying a lump high in her body, it may be something else more serious.

Amie

11/02/09  06:48am

FoxyLady6903
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2090932

ok thanks!! are boas known for having problems?? i’m scared that if she is only gravid she will abort from the handling and stress of a vet check. do you know of any company that sells heart monitors that i would be able to hear if she is gravid?

11/02/09  07:11pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: FoxyLady6903   In reference to Message Id: 2091224

Well, I do know of female boas that were thought be gravid, but had very serious problems.

Some that have had swelling, much like that of carrying babies that had massive tumors instead.
Others had dried out slugs still in them from previous litter that the female could not pass.

Heart monitors can be found on Ebay fairly cheap. But unless you know where to place it, what to listen to, and when to do it, it may not help. A vet would most likely do an ultrasound to look for developing ova.

A vet check could stress her out, but if she’s not gravid and has an internal problem, that will be a bigger stressor.

Boas don’t typically abort early due to handling unless they are already close to giving birth. Then it’s considered to be giving birth early not aborting.

Amie

11/03/09  06:44am

FoxyLady6903
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2091368

thanks so much im getting her checked out this wkend. i appreciate your time and info. THANKS again!!!

11/05/09  03:21pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: FoxyLady6903   In reference to Message Id: 2092323

Keep us updated!

Amie

11/06/09  06:56am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2092547

So what’s the verdict?

Amie

11/09/09  07:16am

FoxyLady6903
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2093622

sorry my comp broke for a while, but yea i was told she is gravid n should be due any day now till the end of this month, n if she dont lay them by then to bring her back. so cross your fingers for me!!!
i had another question. do you know if there is a website that breaks down the boa morphs in simple terms?
i just ordered 1.2 double het ghost pos triple het moonglows, 0.1 anery, and 0.1 ghost pos super ghost.
i need to find out what i should expect from their clutch by the time they get big. (still have some time on that, they are babies)

11/14/09  01:24am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: FoxyLady6903   In reference to Message Id: 2095185

Congrats! Don’t you feel better knowing for sure that she’s gravid, and not ill?

Unfortunately there isn’t a web page with ALL of the currents boa morphs listed.

There is one page that has the basics http://www.kingsnake.com/boamorphs/

You can click on the pictures to get the info. But even that’s pretty outdated, the sunglow hadn’t been produced yet :)

As far figuring the odds in the breeding outcome there are websites for that :)

This is probably the best:

http://www.reptileinsider.com/uploads/showthread.php?t=14970

Amie

11/14/09  07:51am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area