Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Esnakes   Fairy Frog Mother   Bciaddict   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Esnakes
View Profile

Its my 1st time to breed RTB and I need help

I have both male and female boas, they are just over 6 ft and very healthy. I done some research but want to get more than just one opinion, so I have several questions if anyone can help.....thanks
When do I breed them?
How long do I keep them together?
Are they aggressive when breeding?
How many babies do they have?
How long do they cary the babies?
Do they have live birth or eggs?
When do I seperate them from the mother?

Any help is appreciated!!!

09/18/09  10:58am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Esnakes   In reference to Message Id: 2073270

I totally understand the desire to breed snakes, especially beautiful boas. So please do not take what I am about to say as judgemental, but I am going to get up on my soapbox once again, and post some thoughts on the subject.

I too got a male and Female boa whom are het for Albino with the intentions origionally to breed.
After going to numerous sites and talking with people here, and seeing so many boas looking to be rehomed, I am having second thoughts, as there seems to be more snakes in the US than there are responcible homes for.

Unless you know your snakes specific locality, or have specialized morphs, it may be hard to find homes for all of the live babies your snakes may produce. Alot of people who dont even ask about their parentage are more than likely ( not all of them, but a great many) going to be someone who is impulse shopping for a pet- or the "cool" factor of owning a very large snake. These are the snakes that often end up ill cared for.

They have live birth. No eggs. When they are born there often will be a few "Slugs" which are sort of brownish/Yellowish things, and there may be a couple of stilborn snakes.)

A female can have usually between 14 and 64 babies in one clutch. This means you will need to have housing for each one, with heat, hides, reliable thermometers and hydrometers for each one. Im going through trying to feed 4 baby cornsnakes right now, and I cant imagine having over 10 of them to try to feed and keep track of. I could do it, but its ALOT of work.

Snakes ready to breed will sometimes go off feed. For the most sucess, they will go into a cooling down period, or Brumation in the late fall, as the days get shorter to stimulate them to breed. There are different thoughts on this, and it is possible to breed them without brumation. Different breeders vary on this, from the research I have done.

It is important to give them a good meal before Brumation happens, as breeding takes alot out of a snake, especially the female. They need at least two to three weeks to digest the meal fully before going into Brumation or you risk regurgitation- which is BAD if you intend to breed them come late winter/early spring. You want to be sure she is in very good health, and bulked out pretty well. When the days begin to grow longer again, feed them well, bringing their temperatures back up, then introduce the male into the females enclosure. Generally people keep them together a couple of months I think. Others who have bred here can probably give you a lot more specifics. There are also a lot of good articles on the subject with all of the signs on what to look for.

Snakes can definately get more defensive/agressive when breeding.

You seperate them from the Mother as soon as they have absorbed all of the yolk sack.

Others want to chime in?

09/18/09  03:54pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2073385

Hmmm....can I improve on what The Frog Mom said? She’s a pretty smart lady :)

I agree that this is not a good time to breed unnecessarily. There are "big" well known breeders that aren’t going to put pairs together this year because even they won’t be able to sell off the "extras"

But to answer some questions that she didn’t....

There is work involved in breeding boas, it’s not simply putting two together and waiting for babies to appear. Age is more important that size when it comes to breeding. A boa needs to be sexually mature and they need to be in great health and have the proper fat storage to take them through the breeding period.

Most breeders do "cool" their boas for a few weeks to induce breeding. They can be fed during the cool down period but not as much or as often. Although, most boas will refuse to eat during this time anyways.

Some breeders introduce their males the the females at the start of the cool down period, some later on, some during the warm up...

Sometimes the females are receptive to the males right away, sometimes they are not and he has to court her for a while, (can take months) sometimes nothing at all happens.

If she does show interest in him he, will wrap his tail around hers in an attempt to insert on of his hemipenes. Seeing tail wrapping alone does not mean breeding is happening though. After a while, if the male has "done his job" he will suddenly not be interested in the female anymore. That is a possible indicator that she is going to ovulate, but sometimes it’s not. Occassionally he will have to be taken out of her cage for a few days (good time to try to feed him) and reintroduced a few days later. This might have to happen a few times to be sure.

If all goes well, she should ovulate (twice actually, once for each ovary). There is a post that Jeff Ronne wrote up a while ago about boa ovulation, if you’re interested I can send you the link. It will look like she had a really large meal, even though she didn’t. The bigger the swell, the bigger the ovulation...

She will need her temps kept so that her body temp is kept at a constant 86-87 degrees.

Boas give birth approximately 105 days after their post ovulation shed or "POS." But many people don’t know what ovulation looks like and misidentify the POS.

The female will probably be much more defensive during gestation. The male will probably be also.

If all goes well again, and she gives birth to a nice litter of babies, But there will probably be some slugs, hopefully no deformities or stillborns. The mother will be extremely defensive after giving birth, just expect to be bitten. The babies can be safely removed once the move away from the birthing site. Then the real work begins...

Amie

09/19/09  10:28am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2073676

And...By all means! Check out other sites like Jeff Ronne’s and others! It’s fascinating stuff, no matter what your decision is in the end.

I do have to give Kudos to you in that you are doing research FIRST, and asking questions. Never hurts to be well informed. Shows intelligence to ask. Even "stupid questions" are smart! (in this case, your questions were not stupid. They were good ones to know.) Taking the risk, stickin’ your neck out there and getting constructive criticism helps not just you, but others considering the same thing who are too shy to do it knowledge and information.

Thanks for your query!

09/21/09  09:41am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area