Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Akko_2001   Bciaddict   Akko_2001   Bciaddict   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Akko_2001
View Profile

Hey all

new here and need some info.. I have a male and female nic high red boa’s. Their enclosure is 4x2x2. They are just over 2 years old. Both are in the same habitat. I have not separated them. Will they breed when they are ready or do I need to separate and introduce them from time to time.
Thanks all

07/25/09  04:15pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Akko_2001   In reference to Message Id: 2045203

Hey all

Hi!

Well, it would be best to separate them. Often times when boas are housed together on will have dominance over the other, taking the best warm spot, best coll spot, hogging the water dish, etc Also it can be risky at feeding time, especially if they are fed in their enclosure. If they are fed out of their enclosure they may still smell the prey item on their mate when they are placed back in the same enclosure.

The female probably won’t be mature enough to breed for another year, two years would be even better. The male may try to mate with her this year but most likely she will be too small and her follicles will not be developed enough to produce viable ova. A female is still growing will not have adequate fat storage to carry her through a pregnancy. Pregnacy is a big burden on a female boa, you want to be sure that she is ready....i have heard of a few instances where a particularly eager breeders have breed females that were not sexually mature and the female died while gravid. Upon having a necropsy done, it was found that her internal organs (primarily the lungs) were not developed enough to support the extra mass of the babies.

How big are they? I would love to see pictures if that’s possible.

Amie

07/26/09  07:37am

Akko_2001
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2045481

Hey all

Thanks for writing.. I feed in a separate container and one after another. I have yet to see the dominance thing because they lay together all the time. I wish that I could figure this photo thing out to post a pic but so far no luck.. Max is about 3.5 ft long but Izzy is a little smaller 3ft at most..

07/26/09  03:22pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Akko_2001   In reference to Message Id: 2045672

Hey all

At only 3-3.5 feet long I would definitely give them at least another year to grow/mature before trying to breed them.

I suggest that you do put them in separate enclosures as soon as you can.

Amie

07/26/09  04:19pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2045691

Hey all

People often mistake "Laying together" as getting along. It is actually both of them competing for the warmest spot in the enclosure.

I had mine together too when I first got them. I grew up with a pair that were housed together...and was told upon comming here it was a bad idea. I began looking for a new tank right away, and not a day too soon, because the night before it arrived, the male, a few hours after feeding, and while I was watching, slowly opened his mouth and went to bite the female. I moved fast and he stopped and slithered away...but my male is definately dominant Im finding.

I 100% agree, its best to keep em seperate for all of the reasons mentioned above. Wait an extra year to breed for her health and survival, both the females and her offspring. Better fat reserves means better nutrition to the neonates growing in her body. Get another enclosure. If you cant afford the space for at least two tanks plus the tubs/rack heating for the newborns- you should rethink breeding.

Its totally cool to see little babies, but the market is flooded with normals right now in some areas, and they can have from 14 to 60 babies in a clutch. Will you be able to find homes for all of them? I’m rethinking breeding mine, even though they are 100% het for albino for just that reason. I got them for free because the breeder had too many and wanted to start on new projects for snows and Hypos. But can I care for any I cannot sell? Can I afford the Vet bills should they get RI infections? The food, freezer space etc?

All things to consider before breeding.

07/30/09  12:45pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area