Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Robchops   Bciaddict   Grampasimpson12   Robchops   Bciaddict   Robchops   Bciaddict   Robchops   Randy Clark   Bciaddict  
 Member  Message

Robchops
View Profile

Breeding question

I must appologize I am not usually on the Boa Forum, but I thought I would post this quick question...
I have the opportunity to purchase a breeding pair of Boas and they are both the following hets...
100% Het Albino
50% Het Stripe

Just out of curiosity what would the offspring sell for approximately, and for 550 for the two (Again they are both 100% Het albino and 50% het stripe... NOT 1 is 100% albino and 1 is 50% stripe) is this a good deal? or would I be overpaying... also is it possible that this deal is too good to be true and it could be a scam...?

Thank you for your help,

Rob

PS This would be my 4th and 5th Boa, I do have experience with them, however they would be my first breeding project.

06/03/09  03:20pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2015803

Breeding question

Rob,

How old are the boas? If they are babies, then I would say $550 USD is high. But if they are nice looking adults then the price isn’t tooo bad.

If you were to breed them you would produce a few albinos but mostly normals that would all be 66% possible hets for albinos. If you were lucky enough to produce stripes too, then the normals and any unstriped albinos would be 66% het for stripe.

Albino babies sell for about $400 and up nowadays, and normals are about $50 and up. But selling babies isn’t as easy as most people think....Unless you have a decent reputation as a breeder/seller you have to be prepared to keep all babies that you produce. Or wholesale them to pet stores.

Amie

06/04/09  07:26am

Grampasimpson12
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2016152

Breeding question

Amie,

You are absolutely right, one must be prepare to keep the offspring for longer than planned. I am experiencing a slow down. I was selling both my normals and hypos like hot cakes but it soon slowed down at the end of may. I have 3 hypos left and I might have to break down and sell them for cheaper. I want to invest my money into next year’s projects :(

Amie, thanks for the help before.

Good luck Rob with your breeding project.

06/04/09  02:12pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Grampasimpson12   In reference to Message Id: 2016326

Breeding question

Ok thank you guys for the help on that, i have never tried breeding boas before but my buddy breeds JCP and he was interested in going half and half on the pair but i wanted to make sure the pair was a decent price, also i was under the assumption that 100% hets were gaurenteed to produce that Het, In this case albinos, until i read a post on i think it was the boas forum which was all about the possible hets and crosses and how they get produced and the chances of them getting produced. I cureently Have a 3 yr old RTB, a 1 year old Central American Boa (Nic), and i just sold my Colombian Boa a few days ago. Also the price was in CDN Dollars but still they were 2 years old Each and The only problem with them is I am pretty sure they were of the same bloodline... which i guess leads me to my next question... do people breed snakes of the same bloodline, and if so are there any birth defects...

Thanks again for the help I apreciate it.

Rob

06/04/09  10:19pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2016575

Breeding question

Just because someone says they are 100% hets, doesn’t mean they are...they are a ton of disreputable people out there.

You can breed animals from the same bloodline, but it’s better not too. Inbreeding and line breeding are used by some people to get results faster when dealing with recessive genes. Outcrossing takes longer but, by introducing new unrelated blood, you get stronger bloodlines and less chance for genetic defects.

There are a few genetics defects associated with the Kahl albino line. Kinked tails and bad eyes are two which I believe are recessive. Typically these defects show up in albino x albino breedings but it can happen with hets.

Amie

06/05/09  06:56am

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2016694

Breeding question

Thanks again for the help Ill post a quick pic of my two boas, Nothin really unique or anything, but just thought i would post some pics... i would love an albino but too expensive here... they run from 800-1200 CDN. They are definitely rare here but the select breeders who carry them, have great looking snakes.

And finally the custom cage I built, It is 4’ x 2’ x 2’ this was just after it was built, it looks much different now.

Rob

06/05/09  10:41am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2016752

Breeding question

I have to agree, there are some great looking snakes up in Canada...albinos and others.

Nice looking boas...that Nic has great color.

Amie

06/05/09  10:51am

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2016754

Breeding question

Thanks, it was just after a shed, so i got to see some really nice colors!! lol had to snag a pic of it after seeing it like that, it has darkened quite a bit since that photo but still is really well tempered. I have seen some of your snake pics as well, They are absolutely stunning!!

Rob

06/05/09  10:53am

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2016756

Breeding question

With the way the het percentages are figured you can’t have a 100% het can you?I’ve always been weary of anyone selling a het as 100% because you can’t guarantee it so how is it 100% "possible" het?

07/01/09  09:19pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2032397

Breeding question

A 100% het definitely carries the gene. Usually from something like an albino X normal breeding, all of the babies will be het for albino. Thereby making them 100% hets.

If you were to breed one of those hets to a different normal, not all the babies would be hets, only about half of them would be (statistically), but it’s difficult to tell which are het and which are not. So the babies from this litter would be called 50% het. Meaning there is a 50/50 chance that when paired with an albino or a 100% het that they will produce albinos.

Now if someone says they have a 100% het hypo, it better be a hypo, or a super hypo. There is currently only one line of recessive hypos.

Amie

07/03/09  07:45am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area