Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

BohemianReptilia   Fairy Frog Mother   BohemianReptilia   BohemianReptilia   Fairy Frog Mother   Fairy Frog Mother   BohemianReptilia  
 Member  Message

BohemianReptilia
View Profile

Suriname Red Tails Breeding

So about 2 months ago I put my male Suriname Red Tail in with my female. My female is 5 years old and just over 8 feet, and my male is 3 years old and around 5.5’. I never saw breeding behavior, but they are together 24/7 and they tend to sleep curled up with one another. I am hoping they bred, but I am not sure. After about 3 weeks of him being in with her, I noticed her lower end expanding. She doesn’t taper off as nicely as she used to, its more like a sudden drop to her tail. Also, when I touch her lower belly, she seems to not really enjoy it. Last week when I went to feed her, she refused her rat. This snake has NEVER refused a rat in the 4 years I have had her. She is now in shed, but wasn’t showing signs of shed when she refused the rat. Do you think she could be gravid? Would pictures help to determine, because I can get pics of her belly for you guys. The only reason I am doubting it is because I have watched other snakes breed, and have noticed a lot of breeding behaviors that are... well... strange, and nothing strange ever seemed to happen with these two. Thanks!

04/26/09  11:46pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: BohemianReptilia   In reference to Message Id: 1993749

Pictures would help some. It sounds like there’s a good chance of it. Get picks of the whole snake and the belly. (If nothing else, we get to see her!) And they may have bred mostly when you were asleep.

04/27/09  08:42am

BohemianReptilia
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1993839

Alright. As I said, she is in shed. I will try to get her out to take a picture, but if she is not in the mood it just might not happen. The longest you should have to wait is a few days.

04/27/09  07:22pm

BohemianReptilia
View Profile

Message To: BohemianReptilia   In reference to Message Id: 1994176

Okay I got a few pictures in her. She is in a deep shed so her colors look completely dull. This is a GORGEOUS animal when she is not so cloudy, trust me! Her tail is like lipstick! But really you guys are looking to see if she has a gravid belly or I am just suffering from wishful thinking.

So what do you guys think?

04/27/09  08:07pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: BohemianReptilia   In reference to Message Id: 1994222

She is gorgeous. Even in shed. I think people besides me might be able to tell more, but it does look as if she well could be. She definitely looks a bit swollen to me towards the tail. Did she shed after swelling? If she did, knowing that date is kinda important to know when a clutch might be due.
Keep her temps up and refrain from handling her a while. See how it goes.

Good luck!

04/28/09  09:06am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1994481

hmm after re-reading your post, this could be her POS if she is gravid. She looks like shes a good weight though to go into pregnancy. *Crosses fingers* Here’s hoping you have a clutch of candylicious babies commin soon.

Any of you folks with more actual experience and less book knowledge wanna chime in? I’m still learning.

04/28/09  09:12am

BohemianReptilia
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1994484

This is her first shed since the male and her have been together. I put him in one day, and the next day she turned cloudy, so she did shed once when he was in the cage, but there definately wasn’t enough time for her to get pregnant in there lol. Do they stop shedding when they are gravid? I know they stop eating, but I wasnt sure about shedding. And yea, she’s a really healthy weight. She’s gotta be a good 40lbs. Thicker than my arm lol

04/28/09  11:52am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area