Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boas-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fairy Frog Mother   ShadowAceD   Fairy Frog Mother   Bciaddict   Bciaddict   Fairy Frog Mother   Bciaddict   Deadvenom-x   Viktortheboa   Fairy Frog Mother   Jere000   Fairy Frog Mother   ShadowAceD   Fairy Frog Mother   ShadowAceD   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Het for Paradox

So, my sister calls the guy who bred our snakes. Find out he is a pretty well known Bagpiper who breeds boas as a hobby. He is working on Snows and Moonglows and had too many snakes to rehome, so my sister gets us ours for free cause shes cute and these things happen in her life.

Turns out the boas I have are Het for Paradox. So, who knows about Paradox boas? I’m looking it up.

04/11/09  08:07pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1984297

Het for Paradox

Paradox boas are aptly name for the phenomenon of a paradox - an object, entity, subject matter, situation that should not exist. Paradox boas are (typically) albino boas WITH color. It is a hypocrisy to the genetics itself so they are known as paradox boas. I don’t know much about the hets really, a lot of things with paradox’s are just rare chances of genetics. But, I suppose it is possible that there was a way to isolate the genes responsible for it to create hets. Again, I’m not too sure about it ... I know if you type it into Yahoo or Google it comes up with a few sites with breeders that deal with them. I think they call the hets for Paradox Calicos.

04/13/09  12:33am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1984994

Het for Paradox

The Albinos Ive seen have all been White and Yellow with black "freckles" or patches of color on some.

Well, if I do breed (these are definitely from an 07 clutch. My sisters is from the 08 clutch he had and is half the size of mine) My male snake continues to get a lot of salmony scales. The female has a few, but not nearly so many. From what Ive looked up though, they are a cross, not pure BCI or BCC. From what I have read Paradox’s came from a Suriname/Colombian BCI cross- but I need to do more research. Id prefer not to breed them if no one will want their offspring except pet stores.

04/13/09  12:50am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1984998

Het for Paradox

To date the Paradox "morph" is unproven. There really are no true "het paradoxes" until the morph can be proven to be reproducible. No paradoxes have been produced using normal siblings from a paradox litter (that I know of). The Burke line of lipstick albinos do seem to produce lipsticks more regularly than other albino pairings, but no one knows what happens when you breed paradox x paradox. I have only read about one B.c.c x B.c.i. pairing that has produced paradoxes but I have no evidence to support whether the claim is true or not. All the others that I know of are all B.c.i.

I don’t think I’ve ever typed the word "paradox" so many times in one post before.

Amie

04/15/09  07:32am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1984994

Het for Paradox

There are some people who call calicoes, paradoxes and vise versa. Paradox refers to albinos with excess melanin. Calicoes refer to hypos and normals with excess white.

There is no reliable test to date that proves that that the albinos that we consider to be T negative are truly T negative. It is entirely possible that they are very, very low expression T positives, and after many years of breedings more of the black is showing up....which could explain why things like paradoxes are starting to show up more and more.

Amie

04/15/09  07:39am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 1986173

Het for Paradox

Thanks for the Info. Im not finding a whole lot yet in my research yet. Ill keep digging too.

04/15/09  02:24pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1986302

Het for Paradox

I did a little more digging too...

The fellow from Vision Herpetelogical produced the first Paradox albino with using a Kahl albino male X 25 % Suri female. He bred to of the daughters back to the father and the first female produced 16 babies, of which 4 were albinos, one of which was a paradox. The second female produced a litter of 18 with 6 albino, one of which was a paradox. This was back in the 90’ I think around 1999. One of these boas is pictured on the cover of the Vivarium magazine Vol 10 No 1.

In 1999 Ralph Davis produced the first paradox snow from a DH snow x DH snow....he called it the "Freak" boa. He was not able to produce any paradox animals in any breedings with this boa.

There have been quite a few paradoxes that have appeared in recent years...

Amie

04/15/09  04:14pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 1986351

Het for Paradox

my female and male both are "grandkids" to paradox siblings. To me, a paradox is a normal with the albino gene not "fully fused" in together, it may be a load of bologna but that is my way in thinking of it. So far nothing has come out of a paradox breeding.

04/16/09  04:39pm

Viktortheboa
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 1987122

Het for Paradox

is it possible to breed a paradox boa with a common colubian, and if so what would it look like?

12/15/09  09:26am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Viktortheboa   In reference to Message Id: 2105170

Het for Paradox

Unless the common BCI was heterozygus for Albino, all of the resulting babies would be het for albino, and normal in coloration, from my understanding.
If the "common" BCI is het for albino, you’d have a 50% chance of offspring being albino.

12/17/09  04:43pm

Jere000
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2105926

Het for Paradox

No paradoxes have been proving genetic yet ,as far as I know...Also paradoxes are het albinos, meaning if you breed a paradox albino to a normal approximately 50% percent of the litter will be Het for albino.

10/30/11  02:12am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jere000   In reference to Message Id: 2242433

Het for Paradox

So my snakes are 4 years old now- done nearly 3 years of research and well, due to overbreeding here in Calfornia, for now we will wait. This is the first year both of my boas are showing signs of breeding behaviors ( far more active than usual, even after a meal for the past few weeks) Though the East Bay Vivarium said they would purchase any babys if I decide to breed, I want to be a responsible snake owner. I am curious though as to what the outcome would be. I keep getting bits and pieces of what the breeder told my sister ( who knows very little so the information wasnt retained at all...) which could mean a very interesting clutch- or just a few possible albino’s. (There is a chance they are double hets- I dont care. They are good lookin and sweet snakes)

01/31/12  01:39pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2253463

Het for Paradox

What are there genetics again? I know the possibility of coming from a Paradox litter, but are they hets. or possible hets.?

02/06/12  07:14am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2254141

Het for Paradox

This was posted a couple years ago- I know they are both het for albino- possible het for Hypo..I Think...thats where my sister said "Well I didnt understand all of what he was saying..." *Rolls eyes* But as I got them for free, I cant really complain. She isnt in touch with the breeder any more.

02/11/12  05:48pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2254838

Het for Paradox

Yeah, I gathered as much from your Jan. 2012 post.

Boas cannot be het. for Hypo since it is an incomplete dominant trait and not a recessive one. If you breed a Hypo to a Normal you get Hypos and Normals.

I am glad you are not too worried about breeding them, but since you were wondering the potential outcome ...

If, by chance, they both wound up being het. Albinos, you would get some Albinos and some Normals that are 66% Het. for Albino. Visually, they will all look the same but, theoretically, one out of every three will be Het. If you breed and no Albinos present, you could say that the offspring are possible het. for Albino, but that is about it.

It would be better to breed to a visual Albino to prove or disprove that way, even if they do not prove, the offspring will be complete Hets. instead of possible ones.

02/11/12  11:51pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2254890

Het for Paradox

Its amazing how much Ive learned about genetics with colors. I grew up with Boas, and ours bred back in the 70s, when this wasnt as common as it is now. But I was a kiddo. I knew basic care and feeding and handling.

But yes, I decided a while back that really, in the bay area, there is a glut of snakes. The East Bay Vivarium offered to purchase any offspring I had (especially Albinos)- But yeah, the costs for doing it right (Rack system for babys, making sure all are eating before they go off to be sold etc etc and the time investment) just arent worth it, considering how often I see one offered for rehoming on craigs list and at local shelters.

I may breed one day when I have more time and energy. Right now...Im still tryin to get over post radiation and chemo fatigue!! (boy does it kick your butt. However, I kicked cancers arse, so I guess we are even.)
I think Id rather volunteer at another breeders facility first before breeding to gain more experience.

09/27/12  08:34am

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area