Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Imotep3   Imotep3   Fairy Frog Mother   Imotep3   Sui-ryuu   Imotep3   Just chris  
 Member  Message

Imotep3
View Profile

I need advice

I bought a gravid saharan sand boa today at a reptile show. She is only about 2 - 2.5 foot long but is very very fat, she is about as big around as a golf ball through out the last 2/3 of her body, I am trying to figure out how to tell when she is gonna pop. How long is their normal gestation period, and is there any signs that they are close? I know i should have done more research on them before getting her but I couldnt pass her up, she is very tame, beautiful colors, and was only $125. The man I bought her from says that with as big as she is she might have as many as 25 babies. Can anyone tell me more info on how to care for her until she has the babies? I am doing research online right now but would like to here from someone with first hand experience.

03/01/09  02:29pm

Imotep3
View Profile

Message To: Imotep3   In reference to Message Id: 1961252

I need advice

Okay so the guy I bought her from lied to me. I am so pissed right now. I talked to the breeder that I got one of my BPs from and he told me that the guy that I bought the sand boa from is known in the herp circles as "The Peddler" He lies about his animals because he only sells wild caught and sick animals. I had asked him if this type of sand boa was one that lays eggs or if it was like most boas and gave live birth. He told me that she would give live birth to probably around 20-25 babies. So now I am going to have to take her to the vet sometime this week and have her checked for parasites and worms, being as she is most definitely wild caught. (Since saharans have only been bred in captivity by like two people) Im not saying that I wouldnt have taken her to the vet for a checkup as I do with most of my new snakes, but now I have to take her this week and again in about 6 weeks once her quarantine period is over

03/02/09  07:37pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Imotep3   In reference to Message Id: 1962008

I need advice

Good luck. I hope she has nothing serious or contageous, and turns out to be a lovely snake who will undoubtedly have a far far better life with you than she would have had with that schmuck or someone who didnt check like you have done. Its sad that you unknowingly paid money which will only support his business, but you didnt know. Here in Ca if someone sells you a sick snake, and you take it to the vet within 2 weeks of getting it to prove it, you can get your money back ( but have to give up the animal. Sometimes, I think its best to keep the animal if its not contagious to the rest of your collection. Quarentine, as you mentioned is key), heal it up and warn others about the unscrupulous jerk.

03/03/09  08:56am

Imotep3
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1962274

I need advice

She laid her eggs this morning. 6 fertiles and 5 slugs. Now I just have to wait for them to hatch, according to what I have heard and read it should only take about 15 days. So hopefully 2 weeks from now I will have 6 tiny baby sand boas.

03/11/09  11:04am

Sui-ryuu
View Profile

Message To: Imotep3   In reference to Message Id: 1966660

I need advice

hey did your sand boa have the babies

03/29/09  12:53pm

Imotep3
View Profile

Message To: Sui-ryuu   In reference to Message Id: 1976545

I need advice

She laid 6 eggs and 5 slugs! It is now going on day 19 of incubation and only 3 eggs are still good. All three have been dimpled for 3 days and now are collapsed. I have candled them a few times and I can see definite movement in 2 of them. So, hopefully I will have 3 tiny babies soon.

03/29/09  09:30pm

Just chris
View Profile

Message To: Imotep3   In reference to Message Id: 1976922

I need advice

So what happend????? I am so anxious to find out.

04/06/09  06:37pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area