Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Schlangen   ShadowAceD   Schlangen   ShadowAceD   Grampasimpson12   ShadowAceD   Schlangen   Grampasimpson12   ShadowAceD   AGoldReptiles   ShadowAceD   AGoldReptiles   Bazzer   Bazzer   AGoldReptiles   Bazzer   Phoenix23   Fairy Frog Mother   Bazzer   Fairy Frog Mother   Bazzer   Fairy Frog Mother   Bazzer   TheRedTail   Fairy Frog Mother   TheRedTail   TerBear   R3PT1LI4N   Jere000   Fairy Frog Mother  
Pages 1
 Member  Message

Schlangen
View Profile

Beginning breeder.. Help?

I just got my boa sexed. It’s a girl! She’s a normal. I am buying a male albino from a friend this breeding season. I am good with caring for snakes, but not so good with breeding. I have at least a couple years because I am buying a new born. I want to start learning now about breding them, so I can be fully prepared for when I am ready to breed them. Any information? Thanks!

01/17/09  08:35pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Schlangen   In reference to Message Id: 1934166

Are you hoping to get albinos from breeding a normal to an albino? Breeding boas does not work that way. The female would have to be het for albino.

01/17/09  10:50pm

Schlangen
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1934207

What?? :(
So If I breed a mornal F and an Albino male the babies will be norms? :((

01/18/09  12:05pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Schlangen   In reference to Message Id: 1934461

Yeah. At most they will be 50% Het for Albino, but that is it.

01/19/09  12:43am

Grampasimpson12
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1934851

He’s right. There are websites that give you possible match ups and outcomes

01/21/09  06:17am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Grampasimpson12   In reference to Message Id: 1936229

I am right, but I’m a she. :-)

01/21/09  09:00am

Schlangen
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1936264

Contrary to popular belief.. ShadowAceD is a girl! ;)

01/21/09  07:41pm

Grampasimpson12
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1936264

sorry shadowAce D

01/22/09  07:50pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Grampasimpson12   In reference to Message Id: 1937410

No worries. It’s a misleading name. =-p

01/23/09  12:30am

AGoldReptiles
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1937641

Actually ShadowAceD is incorrect! An Albino breed to a Norm will produce ALL Normal appearing boas, All 100% het for albino.

01/26/09  12:33pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: AGoldReptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1940108

Bull. You cannot get 100% boas from only one parent guaranteeing the genetic strain is being passed on in a recessive way. There is a 50% chance the offspring will have it because only 50% of them will. The only way to get 100% hets is to breed the albino to a normal that is het for albino.

01/28/09  09:16am

AGoldReptiles
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 1941411

Bull? Haha i would double check on your understanding of genetics. I would have normally explained it to you but since you wanna be rude about it ill leave ya in the dark to figure out.

01/30/09  08:55pm

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: AGoldReptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1943296

When you breed a visual albino to a normal, you will definately get all normal looking snakes, however each and everyone will be 100% het albino.

The reason for this is because albinos are a ressessive gene. basically what that means is that you can not get a visual albino from breeding an albino to a normal.

The reason that each baby will be 100% het albino is because the babies take one gene from the mother and one gene from the father. Each baby will carry an albino gene and a normal gene, hence why they call it 100% het albino. If you were to breed the babies back to each other, you would get a one in four chance of producing an albino. All the others would then be possible het albino.

If you bred a female baby (100% het albino) back to the male visual albino you would get 50% of the litter being visual albino and 50% being 100% het albino.

At the moment, i am breeding my boas. I have a visual albino and a visual hypo anery female. As anery and albino are both resessive genes, all the babies will look normal, but will carry an albino gene and an anery gene, making them double het albino anery (or in other words double het snow). That’s because if I breed the babies back to each other I could produce a snow boa.

BUT, because the female is a HYPO anery, that means that 50% of the litter will be Salmon (salmon being another term for HYPO). A hypo anery is known as a ghost, which means she already carries the anery gene (because she is visual anery) and also the co-dominant gene, hypo. Hence the salmon babies will be triple het Moonglow. That means it’ll be salmon in colour, but also carry the albino and anery gene. If I breed male and female triple hets from this litter back to each other, i have a 1 in 32 chance of producing Moonglows.

Therefore whoever said that you won’t get 100%het albinos is wrong. Trust me, you will.

01/30/09  11:21pm

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 1943416

Another thing you may wish to consider for the future is what strain of albino you want to have. There are two types:

Sharp strain.
Kahl strain.

Sharp strain is named after Brian Sharp and Kahl strain is named after Pete Kahl. Although (in albinos for example) both are albino, the gene is not compatible. So if you bred a Sharp strain albino to a Kahl strain albino you will NOT get albinos because the gene is not compatible.

You may therefore wish to find out from the guy you are buying your albino from, whether it is Sharp strain or Kahl strain.

In general, the Kahl strain albino fades more than the Sharp strain. My boas are Kahl strain because this is the strain I prefer to work with.

01/30/09  11:32pm

AGoldReptiles
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 1943421

Thanks Bazzer! Your 100% correct, No wonder people get confused with genetics when you have people spouting off info that is not even remotely close to being accurate. The more you READ the less you IMPEAD!

Have a Nice Day!

02/01/09  06:55pm

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: AGoldReptiles   In reference to Message Id: 1944620

A pleasure. Some people just fail to research a subject before saying they know the answer.

But hopefully this’ll make it clear to them too.

02/02/09  09:25am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 1944999

That made it so very clear and so ver confusing at the same time...lol....

02/04/09  11:08pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 1947088

My snakes are both from a Male het for Albinism, and a female albino. ( Aa X aa)

So, if Im understanding... statisticly speaking since both of mine are Aa, should they breed- their offspring should be 25% aa(Albino) and 50% Aa (Normal looking, albino gene) and 25%AA (normals) Yes? I know full well that nature likes to throw in curve balls on recessive traits. And if I breed to another albino, I up the chances of getting albino offspring to 50% with all "normal looking"offspring being 100% het?

or am I totally off?

02/09/09  02:27pm

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1949908

Your snakes dad was 100% het albino (Na) and the mother is a visual albino (aa), which means that the babies you have will definately carry an albino (aa) gene from the Mum and a normal gene from the dad (NN), which makes your snake definately 100% het albino (Na). We know that they have a normal gene from the dad because I take it that they are normal in appearance.

Therefore if you have 2 snakes from the litter, one male and one female, both will be 100% het albino. (Na) x (Na). Therefore if you breed them together, in every 4 you should statistically get 1 normal, 2 which are 100% het albino and one visual albino BUT because the normal and hets will look the same, and you have no visual ones, you’ll have to class the normal looking babies as possible het albino.

02/09/09  05:55pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 1950027

and if I breed one of them to an albino mate, the normals will be Na- or 100% het, Correct?

Thank you for confirmation. And they are normal- have pics up on the Boa Constrictor forum. Itll be a year or two before I even seriously think of breeding. They are far far too young now. I just want to be sure Ive done my homework- and would need to find people who want babies before I make that decision.

02/10/09  04:57pm

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1950532

If the one’s that you have came from a litter where one of the parents was a visual albino, yours will definately be 100% het albino.

If you breed one of yours to a visual albino, then you’ll have better odds of getting an albino in the litter than if you breed to 100% het albinos together. You’ll get half albino and half 100% het albino.

If they are just babies now, you’ll need to wait at least a good 3 years before breeding. males are usually able to breed earlier than females, BUT owing to a bad experience I have had, i’d get the male up to a good size too, because a breeding female is big and heavy. My girl twisted on my male and knackered his back. As a result he was paralysed and could no longer pass stool or urates and had to be put down.

the good thing is that the female I have is gravid and due in May. Here she is

and this is when she ovulated last month

and this is her a few months ago

02/10/09  06:03pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 1950572

Sorry for the loss of your male. Shes looking huge and healthy though.
Thank you for all the advice. I was told they were just over a year old in October (Making them late 07’s) but they were only fed every 10 days or so, so they are small for their age. (Or someone got dates mixed up) Im feeding them once a week now and they are growing like weeds.

With all the boas for adoption in the bay area on Craigs List alone...( one guy is selling his whole collection and there were several morphs 2 others are trying to find homes for) Im not sure If I will be able to find homes for them all, and I dont want to breed if I cant sell them, or find enough homes for the entire clutch.

Ill see how it goes over the next few years. Perhaps by then we will have my dads duplex in Minnesota sold (or move there) and then we will have a bigger place for more! A girl can dream.

02/11/09  09:21am

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1950906

For the size of your snakes, i would guess that they would easily be okay with 12 day old rats up to small weaners. as long as the rat doesn’t leave a huge lump in the snakes belly will be fine. As you say one rat every 5 - 7 days at that age.

02/13/09  12:51pm

TheRedTail
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 1952094

i have a 66% het albino columbian red tail... does that mean he might not even carry the albino gene?

09/01/09  05:50pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: TheRedTail   In reference to Message Id: 2066402

That is correct.

66% Albino means that its parents were Het Albino.
When you cross a Het with a Het (This old post is actually one that really helped me understand how it works) You have a 25% chance of getting albinos, 50% chance of the babies being Het Albino and 25% chance of Normal Colouration. Now...because you cant tell the difference really between the Het albinos and the normals, you call the babies 66% het albino, cause thats pretty close to the chance you get of it carrying the gene.

09/03/09  03:42pm

TheRedTail
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2067197

i would breed him with an albino... im saving money now they ran like $250 at the last show i was at and the next one is 0ct. 3rd i got to sell my albino nelson milk too :/ so im hoping to get about 125-150 when i sell him for pick up only with his cage

09/03/09  08:00pm

TerBear
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 1943416

I am new at this I got my sons snaks and my sons red tail frakinstine is 4 or 5 and almost 7 foot and my friends femail is almost 9 foot me and her have talked about breeding them and she is going to let me take her sons and put them together I am having a big cage maid for the two of them.The two snakes are Both of are sons snakes and they are treeted just like one of are kids I have been raised around animals all my life with lots of vet volinter work under my belt just not with snakes and I don’t wont any harm to come to anyone of the pets I am trying to lern as much as I can but some expert advice would be extremly help full I love my sons and my friends kids and the pets and I dont wont to make any mistakes the pets are like family I won’t to do this right for the Kids and the Pets God bless you and thanks alot

03/21/10  04:27pm

R3PT1LI4N
View Profile

Message To: TerBear   In reference to Message Id: 2134764

Het albino female, to a albino male = albino babys right? now what happens if you breed 2 albino’s? :)

05/24/10  04:17pm

Jere000
View Profile

Message To: R3PT1LI4N   In reference to Message Id: 2150303

Well if i remember correctly 2 albinos produces all albinos.

05/24/10  08:29pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jere000   In reference to Message Id: 2150389

Two albinos means high risk for birth defects and blindness. It is good to breed out for better genetic diversity, and breeding to a 100% het ups your chances of getting Albino offspring. However, you want to be sure you are breeding the same albino strain together as most reports (and experienced breeders on this site) say that Kahl and Sharp strains are not compatable.

06/07/10  12:33pm
Pages 1

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area