Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boas-Breeding Forum

Grampasimpson12   Tpriem10   Mxracer4life  
 Member  Message

Grampasimpson12
View Profile

How quickly do I clean newborns?

My boa is due in early march. I have been trying to find information on how to care for new borns. I’ve found a ton of info for new born care but not immediately after birth. I’m going to build my baby rack in Feb, so I can keep them separate. and then wait for the first shed to occur. Does anyone have any advice for immediately after birth. Do i wait for them to break the sack or can I help?

12/30/08  10:57pm

Tpriem10
View Profile

Message To: Grampasimpson12   In reference to Message Id: 1923503

This is the exact same ? i had lol would have been nice to know today when my boa gave birth lol

07/14/09  03:24pm

Mxracer4life
View Profile

Message To: Tpriem10   In reference to Message Id: 2039196

This is an old post, but I am sure there are others asking themselves this question. I for one, am there watching when one of my female are giving birth, if I am at work, I go home ASAP, lol. I help each boa of they seem to struggle. I am there to see them take there first breathe. After I am sure the mom is done, I start to remove the babies one by one, carefully and rinse them in water that is the same or close to the temp on the side of the cage they were born. You must be careful and not rip the umbilical cord out or damage it, as this WILL potentially kill the baby. Once each is clean I place them in a smaller 3ft cage, all together, on paper towels. Once they have all shed, lost there umbilical cord I move them to seperate cages. They say not to mess with the babies at all for a few days, and just mist them to keep them moist, but I have never had a problem with cleaning them right after birth, or atleast moving them to a seperate cage away from the mom.

04/16/10  01:00pm

Back to Boas-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area