Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Roloir   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111   Roloir   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Roloir
View Profile

Four Month Old Boa

My wife recently purchased a Dumeril’s Boa for me. I had a Central American Boa as a teenager, but that was many years ago. This guy is very easy to handle and has been eating well, but recently started killing his mouse and then ignoring it. He is four months old and had recently shed. Just before he shed he killed and didn’t eat. After the shed he killed again, but didn’t have any interest in eating. Is this normal? I don’t remember at this point. Also how do I switch him from live to dead mice? Should I wait until he’s older, or do it now? Thanks for any help you can give me.

10/23/14  09:40am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2310464

Four Month Old Boa

Is the mice bigger than him that’s a reason why they wouldn’t eat it. My boa won’t eat anything bigger than what he is but still kill it so I had to throw it to my burm instead which was a small meal to him. But this happen when I have to size the food as he grow. You can try the methods people use when their ball pythons go off feed.

10/23/14  12:14pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310466

Four Month Old Boa

They are the same size he had previously been eating. They are about the same size around that he is and make a barely noticeable bulge when he swallows them. He strikes them and checks them out after he unwraps and then crawls away from them. The first time he wouldn’t even get close after 30 minutes to an hour. The second time he extended toward it, but still stayed 5-6" away from it.

10/23/14  03:40pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2310469

Four Month Old Boa

If he’s big enough I would try a diffrent rodent or colored one...sometime snakes go off feed so if your caging and care requirements are correct and he isn’t losing weight then its okay. If I may ask but what’s the setup like? Stress can be a factor of this .

10/23/14  05:51pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310470

Four Month Old Boa

He is in a 29 gallon aquarium with day light and night light. The temp is around 90-95 degrees during the day and 70-75 degrees at night. The humidity is at 55-60% consistently. This is in a quiet area of the house and he is very rarely disturbed. No other pets are allowed in the room. In the cage is Reptibark on the floor, a medium sized watering dish that he spends time in, and a hide which he also spends time in. There is also a humidifier in one corner behind the water dish. He has been in this setup for the whole time we’ve had him and moves freely about as desired.

10/23/14  08:53pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2310475

Four Month Old Boa

Everything set up wise seems okay...he’s probably has that time were he goes off feed but keep trying to offer but not everyday you can also try braining a mouse as this works for. ball pythons it may work but I cant give much advice but this because I never had baby snakes that went off food as I only know this and it should work as it does for other snakes..

*braining(cut the head open of the mouse exposing the brain...GROSS)
*diffrent color rodents
*diffrent type of rodents
*diffrent prey like little lizards for example
*dip in chicken broth>>>works on bps I read about it
*cover the cage so nobody can see
*feed at night

I’m sorry if nothing worked :( I never tried the chicken broth and the braining(to gross for a girl) because the other methods were successful with my 17’ burm and 8’ boa it worked on my water and sav monitors too at one point so I hope at least one of these work.

10/23/14  09:11pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310476

Four Month Old Boa

Thanks for the info, Takahiro111. We’ll try some of these, but for the time being I think we might pass on the "Braining." That’s a little gross for me as well. My wife said if that has to be done she will take a pass. So much for helpful wives.

10/25/14  01:57pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2310506

Four Month Old Boa

Your welcome...most of us females have weak stomachs so we can’t do anything that gross.oh and I forgot force feeding is another option but unless you know how to do it right you can severly damage the snake and force feeding causes stress which can lead to other factors and if nothing helps you can go to allexperts.com in the animal category...its 100% free and it takes them 1-3 days to answer depending if the person is on vacation or something but I’ve been using it for 2 years for my reptiles and other reasons. And braining is way pass me since it takes me a long time to kill mice,rabbits,rats and birds for these guys.

10/25/14  02:13pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310507

Four Month Old Boa

Sorry to be slow getting back to you. I really appreciate the help that you’ve given me. We’ll see what happens and, if you like, I’ll let you know.

10/28/14  06:49pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2310560

Four Month Old Boa

Your welcome and its okay...I know how it is to be busy lol working and school I really don’t have any free time.

10/28/14  07:07pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310564

Four Month Old Boa

He is now eating again after not eating for 3 weeks. I guess he was off his food because of the shed, but that didn’t seem to affect him before when he shed so I really don’t know what happened. One more question: How do I convert him from live food to dead? Do I just let him get really hungry and then present him with the food? Help is always very much appreciated.

11/01/14  09:42am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2310615

Four Month Old Boa

To feed from live to dead is going to take some time since itsused to live but you can get feeding tongs and make it look live or you can wait until he’s really hungry and try...some people do this to their lizards when they only wanna eat one thing, but did you ever try to prekill the rodents(this is what I do because I also had to switch from live). And its good your snake is eating. Did it lose any body weight?

11/01/14  12:23pm

Roloir
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310622

Four Month Old Boa

He doesn’t look like he’s lost any weight and he feels about the same. I really appreciate the help and the interest you’ve shown. It really is a big help when there’s someone you can fall back on when you’re in a quandary. I think I’ll go the very hungry route and see what happens, but I’ll wait until he’s big enough to eat small rats first. That’s probably several months down the road yet.

11/01/14  09:12pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roloir   In reference to Message Id: 2310627

Four Month Old Boa

Your welcome and I’ll be glad to help if you have any other problems..and since he didn’t lose any weight then everything is okay and when snakes go off feed it can be normal and something us owners don’t have to worry about it the snake isn’t sick and when they do it, it makes us go crazy lol I stepped on my boas tail by accident 10 minutes ago and I’m still trying to get him off but overall as he get older he’ll go off feed longer especially when he sexually matures because males stop eating so they can breed. I might misspeled somethings because I’m trying to get him off my foot and leg lol so sorry.

11/01/14  09:42pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area